Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Martin Guitars. Which one?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline takachan

Martin Guitars. Which one?
« on: June 13, 2009, 04:36:07 AM »
Hey guys.

As you all know, YUI's recent acoustic guitars are Martins.

Talking from personal experience, Martins are very inconsistent in tone.. lol. i'm not being biased here, but I've played the largest assortment of Martins and many sound different.

It's not like Taylor where you know all Taylors will have that distinct Taylor bright sound. haha

So my question is to all who has played Martin guitars before, in a guitar shop or whatever, which ones did you like? Which ones do you recommend? have you played YUI's martins? discuss Martin!

I'm thinking of getting a Martin some time in the future.

I've played my friend's D-16RGT. And it was magical. It had all the bass and warmness you needed, but also had Taylor's bright signature tone... It was a beautiful combination. I've never played such a solid perfect guitar before...but other Martin's i played weren't so impressive

do you know any that have that kind of nice bright end as well as the Martin's bass end?

Offline MonkOfWar

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:46:51 AM »
Just saving space on YL since my question is also about Martins - so I'll continue from this thread although I can't answer the original post.

Has anyone played a Martin DX1AE? I've got my eye on it since it's prolly the only affordable Martin to me -

Offline aron94

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:23:18 AM »
I tried the D16-RGT, HD-28, D-28, HD-28v, OM28, D16-GT, For what I notice, Martins got a very heavy bass, with very warm tone, thats what I like about Martin. I tried Taylor before, even all those 10k>. they are awesome too, But taylor give a bright tone which some people might not be interested.
So far, all the Martin I tried (the above) , I think the D16-RGT is still the value for money one. the other model is expensive because of their technologies. I am trying to get a D16-RGT this year end~ :D

Offline MonkOfWar

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 04:58:08 PM »
Tried out a Taylor 110E in a shop a few months back. It felt good to the touch, but I didn't like the way it sounded. Seemed so different from what I'm used to.

I haven't tried out a D-16RGT before, but might call the shop with the DX1AE to find out if they have this too.

When a guitar isn't tiring or painful to play at the first fret, it becomes possible to play songs like CHERRY and Crossroad.

Offline takachan

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 02:55:31 AM »
Haha i own a Taylor now and boy is it painful to play LOL i need to get it set up again. I still love the taylor sound. Actually I can get some nice bass out of my Taylor :D Bc now I play without a pick a lot, using my fingers, theres a real nice warm bass that i bring out. With the appropriate strings and set up it sounds real nice. I love it but its actually painful to play. Rofl, it really wears on my fingers and is tiring to grip. It just feels very very tight. But despite all that, it just means my fingers are being trained up to be stronger than ever rofl

Nevertheless, Martins or Taylors, all are good guitars.

Offline MonkOfWar

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:18:11 AM »
The Taylor hurts your hands? I tried out a that budget Taylor 110E in the shop and had absolutely no pain from that. Of course, I'm so used to busting my hands on my own Yamaha for two years that a Taylor has no issue like that.  

Does a D16-RGT have a significant price increase over the DX1AE? Tried looking over their extensive catalogue, but that's a US price chart.

Offline takachan

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:47:05 PM »
lol i mean my taylor esp bc i need to get it set up again, the action has grown high and im using thicker gauge strings to bring out more bass from the Taylor. XD But in general, Taylors are much tighter than other guitars so if you play it for a long time it'll get tiring XD Like just try riffing and bending the strings, its like impossible (esp with thicker strings)! The sustain also isn't so long, its very tight sounding. I guess I just got it for the tone. On the other hand, my Takamine is so loose and soft it feels like an electric guitar XP Yamahas are in between. I love the way Yamahas feel actually! they play so well and its so fun to jam on one. I actually want one just cuz it would be a lovely jam/beater guitar

the D16RGT is much more expensive. From what i see, it's like two times the price almost, but not quite xD It is a very nice guitar. My friend has it and i love the sound.

Offline aron94

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »
Quote from: "takachan"
lol i mean my taylor esp bc i need to get it set up again, the action has grown high and im using thicker gauge strings to bring out more bass from the Taylor.
Haha, are you using elixirs strings? if you are looking for warm bass, i prefer you using martin strings. My friend who own a Taylor 414CE Fall Ltd uses it, the bass is like...... AWESOME! :D

I agree with you that Martin and Taylors are good guitars.... HOW ABOUT GIBSON?!! haha!

Offline MonkOfWar

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 11:12:14 PM »
I never bend strings on an acoustic. Too tight, and almost no sustain. Nothing like an electric.

I guess I'll get that DX1AE after pay day....