Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is earth the only place where life exists?  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Flare

Is earth the only place where life exists?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 01:17:17 PM »
Well life would presumably require complex molecules, and for Earth Life, all these complex molecule are formed based on carbon... That's why we are known as carbon based lifeforms.

From our current understanding of chemistry, it is believed that the other possible element that complex organic compounds can form from would be Silicon, which is in the same group as Carbon. This aspect has been commonly explored by science fiction authors.

But due to the chemical properties of silicon dioxides and long chain silicon molecules, any silicon life form would have totally different biological system compared to us, and would not have water in their system. Water is unable to transport silicon 'organic' compounds the way it does with carbon organic compounds. And they would respire in a totally different way compared to us. Some scientist argues that it's impossible to have life as we know it based on Silicon compounds. But I'm open minded.

Silicon based life would definitely have a very different biochemistry compared to us carbon based life form and well, mercury could be non-toxic to them. So I guess, why not?

However, Silicon is less reactive than carbon, and due to the chemical properties of complex silicon compounds, they are less likely to form compared to Carbon based life form. So my bet is that we would more likely come into contact with Carbon based lifeforms.

Well, of course this is for Life in the definition that we understand it...

Offline br4d137

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 01:27:43 AM »
we already have silicon life forms

Steve Erhardt

aka the human ken doll

Offline Flare

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 12:34:52 AM »
LOL
 :what  :what  :what

Offline you_and_i

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 03:35:44 PM »
i believe there is life out there somewhere. but i'm glad YUI is on this planet. hehehe... :clap  :clap  :clap

Offline MDV

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 12:35:48 AM »
No, it isn't. The universe is endless. Thefore, an endless amount of anything in the universe exists.

Offline uko

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 07:51:17 AM »
Quote from: "town_el"
I don't care !! I'm just glad YUI is on this planet !!

:good :good :good :good :good
So true...

Offline PeaceOfYui

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 12:04:34 PM »
Well as Lunarian people to me exist. Even though we might not see  the people on other planets as of Mars or Pluto. They could be inside the core for all you know. Millions of light speed away (if this is correct) it is still unknown the galaxy is everlasting as for I know it. There is good and bad on Earth , but there could be better places on. What if I dinosaur was on Mars for all you know? The people who go to the moon never broke to the middle since they preserve it all for their safety

Offline Roxy36

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 02:13:20 PM »
i definitely think that there is life on other planets/galaxies.. even the possibility of a "parallel universe".. it's possible that there is a duplicate being of ourselves, but carrying different personas, traits, dreams, basically a different lifestyle.

actually, i believe that the planets that contain a reasonable amount of hydrogen and oxygen have the highest ratio of life. after all, that's what keeps all life forms living.

brad, haha man.. that human ken figure is  :shock

Offline br4d137

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 02:38:21 PM »
i dont think any living thing can live in the center or underneath a planet

maybe fossils of something but nothing living...

just knowing the solar system that we are in, theres no living things in it... Jupiter is a ball of gas, Venus rains sulfuric acid.... maybe on mars once once upon a time there might have been something... but not anymore

and i highly doubt on the moon since there is no atmosphere... but there might be something that hit the moon.. like a rock from another part of the galaxy that contains life forms.... and life forms meaning like bacteria or something... but nothing as complex and developed as we are...

but there is a planet 20 light years away that is like earth... Gliese 581c is 5 time the earths mass

and it orbits around a red dwarf 50 times cooler then our sun...

and its said to be the right conditions to have water on the planet... satellite images show that the planet has beaches.. not sure if oceans are water...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_c

its the closet planet we found that "might" have life forms... and be a back up planet when we destroy ours :P         

i love the science channel :P

Offline *simply_kawaii*

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 06:14:13 PM »
@br4d137..thanks for the info..so it can be either Gliese 581 c or d??

actually, I don't have any idea..maybe or maybe not.. @@

Offline Shinigami99

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 03:25:25 PM »
Well, the fact that the universe is so vast that humans have yet to explore the whole thing makes it highly possible that there does exist other living creature somewhere out there.

On a side note, the discussion would problably have been more serious if the third choice wasn't there... Not that I'm complaining...

Since I'm also just glad YUI is on this planet.

:clap  :sry  :good

Offline BlueChaos

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 02:20:40 PM »
I would like to believe that other lifeforms exist on other planets, else my Star Wars and Star Trek dreams would end here. I wish that someone a Jedi from a galaxy far far away would come here and teach me how to be a Jedi, with all those Force and Lightsaber stuff XD

Offline Sevhenko Vytchkov

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 04:18:32 PM »
Quote from: "BlueChaos"
I would like to believe that other lifeforms exist on other planets, else my Star Wars and Star Trek dreams would end here. I wish that someone a Jedi from a galaxy far far away would come here and teach me how to be a Jedi, with all those Force and Lightsaber stuff XD
Combine >>> Star Wars

Why? The Combine is a multidimensional empire. Freaking multidimensional.

Also, back on topic.
Whoever doesn't believe that there are other lifeforms in other galaxies or planets are either retarded or a retarded religious zealot.

Offline Shinigami99

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 08:43:17 PM »
Quote from: "Sevhenko Vytchkov"
Whoever doesn't believe that there are other lifeforms in other galaxies or planets are either retarded or a retarded religious zealot.
That's a pretty harsh and almost baseless statement. Lifeforms in other planets is simply a possibility. We can't say that it is a fact... Not yet, at least.

Offline Ids

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 01:09:32 AM »
Sorry, this has not much to do with the subject, and might have been said before,  but did you guys know they just discovered large amounts of water on the moon?  :hee