Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting somewhere with music  (Read 1798 times)

Offline JustAnotherYUILover

Getting somewhere with music
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:46:04 AM »
I've been living life practically for no reason. I didn't think about the future. When asked what I want to be when I grew up, I would always be the one that didn't know what to say. Even since I was a small child going to elementary school. A normal child would've at least said something because they are able to use their imagination. But not I. This past year really started to change me. First it started out with the laptop problem. Then the discovery of music. Then the whole fortune cookie incident. Then the discovery of YUI. I really want to do something music related. I picked up a guitar to learn but as I know right now. I'm not any good at it at all. I started to think more and more as to whether I will ever have a place in life. I can't see myself anywhere in any occupation. I can't picture myself working on mechanics. I can't picture myself as a business man, a real estate representative. . . Nothing at all. I really enjoy music though. I never dealed with anything music related though. I just remember taking music class in elementary school. At that point, I knew I enjoyed singing but I never really thought about anything. I just loved imitating the orignal singer of songs we sung in music class and I loved remembering lyrics. I remember we once had to sing Go To Distance(Hercules soundtrack) and I would always force myself to have a deeper voice. Hah. The good old days. That's basically all the music stuff I ever did for school. I am not part of the choir, not part of a band, not part of anything at all. I started to pick up singing by myself this past year and I tried to learn through the methods of SLS but that's just not enough. Where can a person like me go to achieve what it is that I want? I want to be a vocalist(something like a vocal coach and part time singer). Does this require college? Why is it that everything has to be backed up by education? I'm so lost in life. What are the steps?

Offline *simply_kawaii*

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 10:48:22 PM »
I think you just have to do your best to achieve what you really want, if it's music, then take the time to learn more about it..speaking of "Go the distance" song, i like it too, in fact it's my friend's graduation song...^^,

me, i just went to a music school and studied for 12 sessions in guitar lesson..i think it's coincidence that i have free time..the time i'm spending for it is my first sem..then when the next semester comes (it's getting nearer), i really need to study academics...

it seems that education is the first step...then the rest depends on you...some may have natural born talents and others take the process of learning...in the end, 'determination' is what really counts...

i hope this helps... :sry

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 05:18:30 AM »
Thanks a lot *simply_kawaii* for actually taking the time to read it and respond to me. I'm guessing that you study the guitar in general. That's very impressive. I felt really stressed out and horribly depressed yesterday. I literally felt zoned out and felt that I shouldn't even be alive. Thanks for cheering me up! If I could, I would hug you and cry.

Offline Cross

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:36:44 AM »
Don't let the worries of life overwhelm you. It's best to take things in stride, baby steps if you will. It's tough thinking about the future and finding something to make a living off of. Believe me, I just recently finished university, and I'm already considering alternatives as to what to do. It seems like for now you have a general sense of direction with what you want to do, so start doing the research.

At my local music store, I am taking guitar lessons, but there are also serveral singing teachers too. My suggestion would be to find a singing coach or teacher and ask what steps they took to be where they are today. There are colleges that cater specifically to music, or ones that offer music programs, so I would suggest a post-secondary education would be VERY helpful. Having an education isn't a bad thing because you're being trained and PREPARED for the real world. It may sound like a lot of bulls--t, but I firmly believe it is helpful. I really admire the people who have succeeded without attending college or finishing high school, BUT those people are VERY lucky and it happens to very few people. The opposite effect could take place and you could be left feeling even more depressed for not having pursued an education. Ultimately the choice is yours. Perhaps talk it over with your parents and friends to get their take on things. You should present your case and gather the support of those closest to you, because it will help. I'm sure they will be supportive of you, and they could also push you in the right direction with what to do.

If you are still in highschool, perhaps it's time to join a choir or a band. Perhaps go to your local church and audition to be in the choir. Or if you're not a church-goer, look elsewhere for places where you can apply yourself and your singing, thus giving yourself the experience and real-world training that you won't get from a school. It's all about balance - between what you learn in the classroom, and what you learn from the outside.

Do some reasearch as well. Check your local ad listings, phone book, the internet, whatever and find out more about what you want to focus in on. However don't overlook alternatives to singing. Perhaps there is an aspect of the music industry that just might trigger your interest, thus opening up more opportunities for your career path. The more you realize what it is EXACTLY about music that you enjoy so much, the easier it will be to come to a decision.

Sorry for jumping from one point to the other, I know I'm rambling a bit, but I hope you can get a sense of where my thoughts are. Try not to let your concerns and anxiety overwhelm you. Try to approach things that you can tackle right NOW, and don't worry about what might happen 5 years, months, or even DAYS ahead. Live for the now, address your immediate priorities. I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you'll do fine - I'm a firm believer that as long as you have some sort of direction, you'll never get lost.

Best wishes.

Offline br4d137

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 06:49:09 AM »
i feel you man..

the other day... i really wanted to build a guitar...

and maybe even sell them..

i have bunches of ideas.. and wanted to learn them...

i looked up a bunch of stuff..

then went to search for prices on parts..

@_@...

then prices for tools

@_@...

now im trying to find other ways... maybe ill make it all from scratch...

anyone ever built a guitar b4??

Offline Cross

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 07:09:12 AM »
I've seen in my Guitar World magazine of luthier courses that are offered. I'm sure if you take a course, they supply you with the materials to learn how to build your first guitar. They can't expect you to find your own materials, otherwise if you decide to grab some Brazilian Rosewood for an acoustic guitar and have no clue how to make the sides of the guitar....man, that's some BRW gone to waste  :sayw. You could always try e-mailing boutique luthiers and asking how they got started and learned. I'm sure they'll reply to someone who has a genuine interest in learning how to make guitars.

Try looking up the following names - they're all electric guitar makers, sorry - maybe Natalie can help you with the acoustic side of things.

Joe Driskill
Jason Schroeder
Matt Artinger
Ron Thorn

Those are the 4 big names right now with regard to guitar builders. All of them seem to be getting a steady flow of customers wanting them to build a custom guitar for them. Each builder has their own unique body shape that they use as a base and from there the customer can select the materials they want, the inlay design, colour, electronics, etc. Check em out - if you ever do become a guitar builder and I dig your designs, you'll hook me up with a discount right?   :hee

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 08:13:52 AM »
@Cross: Thanks man. I really needed that. I just don't think my parents will feel the same way as I feel. Ugh. I'll just have to take things slowly like you said. Thanks again.

Off topic: What did you major in and what are you planning to do?

@Brad: Wow that's so cool Brad. How old are you Brad? That would be so cool to be able own your own guitar shop and build guitars because you will first off be content with your love of guitars as well as share your love of guitars with everyone else and also be able to bring a new flavor into the guitar world.  :good

Offline zenaku

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 09:18:20 AM »
if you want to become a vocal coach then that must be backed up by education because afterall you yourself will become an educator. part time singers don't really get anywhere unless you aim to become a pro which should be the goal you set to yourself if you're really passionate about singing. i think the only way to go is by joining competitions and learning from the experienced. and by learning it could be by having lessons or going to music college but both are still forms of education. I remember being in your 'stage of life' and not knowing the steps. We all hate education and school I know, but the fact is, education opens you up to more 'paths'. for example, the difference between a vocalist who hasn't been to music college etc and a vocalist who has isn't just the level of technique and theory. the educated vocalist will have more connections and more to offer to the industry.

I think the best way to go in your situation is to continue with education whether it'll be dropping out of school and learning from an pro vocalist or going to music college or uni. I also think that experience will really in the end separate the successful from the not so successful. The more singing competitions you sing in, bands you join etc will improve you as a vocalist overall. imo, experience is more important than talent.

Offline takachan

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 09:50:39 AM »
HAHA. JAY u keep speaking for me. i'm going through the same things... music is my life, oh i posted in that essay thread of urs just now. same for me, i've been living life by the moment, not thinkin about hte future... till now...

yea... i know i must have a post-secondary education. and the thing is should i go for something more stable and have it as my backup part time job while i pursue music. or go and study music full time and go pure music?

but even with post-secondary, whats important is having connections. if we study at uni/college for music, ur probably gonna get to know some people hwo can help u out. buti also thinki  should get a degree in something else as backup... if i go and study something else tho i probably wont get those necessary connections...

people who get famous without post-secondary usually are very lucky and has lots of connections.... it would so help if my parents/relatives were in the music industry hahahahah...

but can i even get into music? the requirements are pretty intense. i've basically started from nothing, from no training... its just me and my own experiences

theres so many chocies so many questions running through my head. thats just but a small part of everything... why does everyone want degrees... like this is just society's view on things. this is so stupid having to conform to society's expectations. its like being trapped.

my ultimate goal is changing lives with music, being a singer/songwriter/guitarist. like YUI. shes my major role model.

Offline EndtoInfinity930

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 10:16:37 AM »
I know exactly how you feel.. I've been thinking about my future lately.. what to do about college/if I'm even going to college.  If I do go to college, it will probably be for a major in Japanese.. but what can you do with a major in Japanese that's not business-related?  I hate business jobs and working with money.

I decided a long time ago that I wanted to be a musician in Japan.  And I'm still determined to accomplish this, but as they all say, it's good to have a backup plan.  I don't know what my back up plan is, or if I'm eventually even going to have one.

To "make it" in the music business, it's almost essential to have "connections".  Currently, I have one (almost 2-3) connection: My guitar/voice instructor, who's Japanese, was a recording artist in Japan for Sony Records when she was a teen/in her early 20s.  She has said many times that I have what it takes, so hopefully something will happen eventually..

ok, enough of me rambling on about myself!  This is about you..

So anyways, if you don't have any "connections", then everything is based on passion, dedication, and talent.  I know you've probably heard this many times, but dedication REALLY is a key factor... I think I would be a lot farther by now if I concentrated ONLY on music, not things like school, choir etc; But that is unavoidable at the moment.

All I can say to you for now is..

Ganbarimasu!~ :]

Offline takachan

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 11:28:35 AM »
lol... u have connections... dang. i need connections now!!! and being an artist in japan also appeals to me.. that is if i learn my jap and become fluent in it haha

Offline Cross

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 12:12:53 PM »
If your parents care for you, they will be supportive of your decisions. My brother is currently in university pursuing a degree in music. He is a drummer and is honing in his skill as a jazz drummer. My mother is more of a traditionalist and is worried about my brother's future, while my dad is a bit more liberal and allows my brother to pursue this career path. I believe very strongly in my brother and encourage him by saying that if he really wants to pursue a career in music, it sure as hell is not going to be easy or a walk in the park. Thus he should do his absolute best to be one of the top students in his program, thus increasing his chances of receiving work once he graduates. At the same time, he is considering pursuing music production and thinking about taking courses sometime in his later years so as to open up more venues of work. While I understand that you appreciate music and singing in particular, try to also think of alternate paths that are ASSOCIATED with singing, or also involve singing + something else. Who knows, you might end up finding something else in the field that you enjoy or that you can apply singing to.

Don't be afraid of what your parents think of your decision. If they see that you are absolutely passionate about pursuing a life in singing, then they SHOULD support you every step of the way - you're their child and they should be loving you regardless of your decisions in life. (unless you're a chainsaw serial killer - then everyone hates you, including me.  :shock)

To answer your question - I am a graphic design major and as far as what I'm planning to do, well I'm trying to look for a job, haha. I've been applying to places and have been working a couple of temporary part-time jobs, but haven't found a permanent position as of yet. In a way, finding a job in graphic design is no easier than finding one in music, both are considered to be "fine arts" and thus it's tough to get your foot in the door unless you have connections. You also have to be hungry for a job and persevere. Learn to deal with rejection, and apply to s--tload of places at least once a week. Since you'll be applying to universities/colleges and whatnot, once you get accepted and enter your first year, start making contacts right away. It is especially important to build relationships and have as many contacts as you can, because then you'll have more opportunities to jam with people and gain experience.

I hope this all helps, I'd like to see you overcome your current slump and take off, where you'll enter a whole new world that will leave you feeling fulfilled. If you've got anymore questions, I'll do my best to help you out or at least provide some moral support, haha.

Offline br4d137

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 12:40:03 PM »
ive been looking up all these schools after learning a lil about becoming a luthier...

pretty expensive stuff...

but man...

they have this course thats like 6 months of hard training and building...

its around 18000 with housing...

but BUT....

WHAT if...

i take this course.... learn all the stuff about guitar making...

practice practice practice... find some really good luthier become an apprentice...

become a guitar jedi...

move to japan... open my own shop... selling guitars... making guitars... and teaching guitar lessons (not by myself of course... ill hire some ppl...) then send my work to all the guitar players in Japan... YUI... Ringo...  AKFG... LArc... Big bands... big players...

see if they like my stuff...

(path one)
THEN become world known.....

send my stuff all around the word...

start my own big company rivaling the grandfather companies (Fender, Martin, Taylor, Epiphone)

Pitch the NEW-age of guitar making!

Rise to the top!! and be branded in history!

(path two)
OR... remain a small indie company... only making guitars for the best of all people...

give guitars to the best players or best bands...

one of the players or bands become ROCK ICONS! (aka The Beatles)

then my guitars will go down in history as forever prestigious! (aka Rickenbackers)

what do u think of my dream? hah

Offline zenaku

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »
i agree that getting into a music degree or a music college is quite hard if you don't have a music background. for me it was the auditions that were annoying. like others have said, music is more than just an interest or hobbie. but its better to be practical, in my case, im doing music/philosophy along with psychology as a backup. my goal is similar to yukio as well as thousands of other ppl but instead of the changing lives part, i only want to get my msg through. songwriting is what im specializing in and guitar will probably be my main next year.

not in a great position right now though, can't find a good enough girl vocalist. the one in my old band went to tokyo for some fashion designing course and i've been doing vocals for awhile. also, the uni where im at now doesn't have much decent guitarists/bassists or drummers. all the good ones are taken. anyhow, it doesn't matter where you end up imo, if you're not lucky enough to bump into ppl relevant to your career then promote yourself. competitions, the internet, public shows and all that. if you're good enough for the industry or style, chances will definitely come. and like cross said, what your goal is now might not be what you end up comfortable with. the most important part is to try and gain experience imo.

speaking of connections, i actually know a few singing instructors as well as producers but unfornately none in north america. however, if you ever need help, i've done alot of composing and producing for local bands and a few independent singers in hk before and can definitely do it again. i'll most likely end up as a songwriter anyway lol. but getting into a singing course/degree is probably the best way to go and if not, then at least find a singing instructor and perform as much as you can.

Offline *simply_kawaii*

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 07:35:04 PM »
Quote from: "JustAnotherYUILover"
Thanks a lot *simply_kawaii* for actually taking the time to read it and respond to me. I'm guessing that you study the guitar in general. That's very impressive. I felt really stressed out and horribly depressed yesterday. I literally felt zoned out and felt that I shouldn't even be alive. Thanks for cheering me up! If I could, I would hug you and cry.
np..i'm happy that i can help..*HUGS*..go for it, ok..!!! Don't give up..God bless..^^