Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to play guitar chords  (Read 4624 times)

Offline nataliejwong

How to play guitar chords
« on: October 05, 2007, 12:56:09 AM »
Please post links that are relevant to this thread topic.

If you would like to share a few guitar chord links, feel free to post here. Try to keep the links nice and simple. Please see below as example format.

Thanks!

-----

Ultimate Guitar Chords | Over 1200 guitar chords in a simple PDF format!
Gimme now!

Christian Guitar Resources | Common chords played in guitar songs w/ visuals
Show me now!

Chordbook.com | Interactive guitar chord finder
Show me now!

Apple Widgets

Offline twitster

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 04:12:21 PM »
Thanks so much for posting the websites!! It's already a BIG help for newbies in learning how to play the guitar... =)

Offline cherii

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:01:49 PM »
thanks for the links! i already have a pdf file of a whole lot of chords, but i keep on losing them in my computer since I'm never bothered to clean it up. ^^;;

for me, barre chords ARE scary chords. sometimes i can play them without problems, and then the next day I can't again. today's my off-day. >_>

Offline MonkOfWar

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 06:48:40 AM »
I've been banging on my Yamaha acoustic for the past 5 weeks everyday (except for two days when I was home late) for 30 - 45 min everyday.

How long in your experience does it take to make barres sound right? I've been at it for at least a week now, man they are harsh. So far I can remember the shape of a type 1 major and minor (based on the open E Maj and E min chord respectively) , and type 2 major (based on the A Maj open chord). But it's rare for any of my shapes to sound good first time.

Offline Cybergeron89

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 08:12:30 AM »
hmm i still have (a little) trouble myself after playing a little over a yr now....especially B chord(and the similars whatever they r)...(pinky/ring/middle fingers together) Well from going A tto B its not too bad but other than that, its quite hard....and there r chords thatu really have to stretch ur fingers ....which i hate those ..lol but i'd do them anyways

Offline TeePee

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 04:02:18 PM »
yea anyone for tips on barring a chord?
cause usually when i bar the 4th string (i think) doesnt sound ._.
but then sometimes it does  @@

Offline megayui

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »
pateint.  lot of  new player try to play a song and  do cord.

i suggest u to do " finger exercise "  more than 10 minute before start to play guitar.

okay i found an aticle that  is useful on internet

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/cor...e/warm_ups.html

Warm Up 2
|-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-|
|---------------------------------1-2-3-4---------|
|-------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------|
|-----------------1-2-3-4-------------------------|
|---------1-2-3-4---------------------------------|
|-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|

this  s what i call   " finger exercise ".  they called it "  warm up ".

do it  for 5 minute before you try to play guitar .

and this is what i do everytime   before i start to  play guitar .

Warm Up 3
|-----------------------------------------1--3- 5-|
|---------------------------------1--3-5---------|
|-------------------------1-3-5-----------------|
|-----------------1--3-5-------------------------|
|---------1--3-5 ---------------------------------|
|-1--3 -5-----------------------------------------|

ี use  your   index  ,Middle,  and  Pinkie   finger .

sure it is  hard and hurt your finger in the beginner. but it will  help if u dont give up.

your finger will run more fun on  guitar  in next  1 month .

Offline Ids

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »
Quote from: "TeePee"
but then sometimes it does  @@
I remember I used to use all my strength and it would hurt like hell but still there was no sound. Indeed just be patient and in a month or something you will be able to play without any problems. Don't overdo it because you can get very frustrated  :what  I'm speaking out of experience XD  And after a while you'll find the right position for your finger and it won't hurt anymore!

Offline MonkOfWar

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 10:13:43 PM »
It's hard for folks to barre a minor six string chord - the one where you cover six strings with your left trigger finger, and shape an E minor one fret space away. Often the fourth string will not be pressed down sufficiently by your left trigger finger becoz most of the pressure is only at the tip and the root (where your finger connects to the hand).

Solution (learnt from watching Yui and other players in MVs) - use your second finger to press down left trigger finger since it's not being used to hold any shape!

Also, acoustic guitars are DAMN hard to barre especially if their string gauge is too high. Also, the fourth string tends to be under the crease of your finger. While high gauge strings give good sustain, they are very uncomfortable to barre unless you have iron grip.

Anyway, it takes months of work to get barres down. I'm actually much better now then when I first raised the issue of string gauge in another thread, but still don't score perfectly especially on F Maj shape starting on first fret. And don't get me started on Asus4 5 string barre shapes ...... those are even WORSE!

Offline EugeneAng

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 11:48:21 PM »
For me,the first barre chords i did was on an electric,and even then i could not get em to ring out cleanly.I was very frustrated.

So what did i do?

Practise.

I practised till my fingers hurt and the skin on the side of my left index finger was really sore(dun do this folks.)I played "again" with the full barre chords,even though i knew that i could not get them cleanly enough.Still,i practised and practised and practised and practised.

After two weeks,i managed to be able to play barre chords(on the electric) cleanly enough.Then when i tried to play em on an acoustic,hey hey,i could do it!

So for barre chords,practice is the magic word.In my case at least.

Offline Alicia

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 03:19:30 PM »
What are barre chords?

Offline EugeneAng

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 06:02:53 PM »
Barre chords are chords that require you to use a finger,mostly,no all of the time the index finger to bar a fret down.Let's say the dreaded F chord, 133211,you will have to use your index finger to bar the 1st fret, and by bar i mean press down the entire fret's all six strings and hold an "E" shape chord on the 2nd and 3rd frets.

Hope you understand.....

Offline TeePee

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 08:17:37 PM »
Quote from: "Ids"
Quote from: "TeePee"
but then sometimes it does  @@
I remember I used to use all my strength and it would hurt like hell but still there was no sound. Indeed just be patient and in a month or something you will be able to play without any problems. Don't overdo it because you can get very frustrated  :what  I'm speaking out of experience XD  And after a while you'll find the right position for your finger and it won't hurt anymore!
it doesnt really hurt for me
used to finger practice on piano  :rolleye
use to play one and a half hours of piano a day for exam  =O

just the issue of the 4th string =[
everything sounds clean except for that string =[
and yea got really frustrated at one point 2months ago i wanted to trash the guitar so i stopped for 2 months incase i do trash it >.> (i don't trust myself enough lol)

but now i have to learn cause im playing for my sister's bday and i have something awesome planned in mind :D

Offline Alicia

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
Aaa...got it, thanks EugeneAng^^. I've always hated that F chord....and also the B chords that goes like this B-sumthin: X13331 or 113331

Offline EugeneAng

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 12:34:07 AM »
Uhm,i play the B chord x24442,which is played by barring the 2nd fret with your index finger and holding the D,G,B string with your other three fingers in an "A" shape chord.

Barre chords are the absolute boogie when you first start out on them.Practice is the best policy in mastering them,at least for me.

So,happy practIsing!:D