Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Fanny

Religion
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2007, 05:57:37 PM »
eh alpharius? didnt know that. interesting fact for me.. but it did say on the 7th day, God rested so I always took it as a Sunday.

Offline DJhozy

Religion
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2007, 11:11:57 PM »
Fanny: ah icic. I respect christians like you. anyways, sorry for the double post.

For_the_ears: LOL. Actually, it's not only wikipedia. There are like books, documentary, articles that i read that cause me to lose my faith.

That's why in our current time, where facts are not confirmed, I choose to only believe that we have a creator that created us. That's all.

Offline EndtoInfinity930

Religion
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2007, 07:36:04 AM »
I believe that Sunday IS the last day of the week.. I think the people who made the official calendar distorted this by putting Sunday at the beginning of the week.

Dunno, that's just the way I see it.

Offline you_and_i

Religion
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2007, 09:28:22 AM »
i'm in a position where i'm not sure about religion. i think people really need something to hold on to so that they don't feel lost. maybe they're incapable of leading themselves that's why they create an image of a creator called god, that creates all. even if god does exist, i think it can only watch. i mean i used to pray so much but it was for nothing in the end.
it's taboo in my country to be an atheis, i'm a half atheis i guess. i don't want to belive that our life is already decided for us, that why i don't believe in destinies.
people still need relligion to lead them. i will try to lead myself through life, maybe that is blasphemi and i maybe a kafir to my relligion, but it what i trully believe.

Offline Gin

Religion
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
1: Is an eternal reward or an eternal punishment a little too much of a judgement for such a (relativily) short life.

2: I should be able to see and feel god in everything, but I don't...What am I doing wrong?

3: Jesus Christ was against churches, why are churches built for him?

4: Why are women inferior to men?

5: (this one is the most important)... So if god has all control over me, why can i think of picking up my pen...And then pick up my pen out of free will? If god ordered me to do that why hasn't he ordered me to turn to his religion yet?

6: God told moses the people should rest on the last day of the week (saturday) and so did he tell Muhammed.Then why do the Christians beleive the first day of the week (sunday) to be the day to rest? Does this mean god changed his opinion (2 times) or does this mean one of the 3 prophets isn't telling the truth. (as far is I know Islam, and Christanity are based on Judaism. So i expect their god to be the same )

1. Let's think about that and apply it to other situations. Why do we punish people and put them in jail for years, even their entire lifetime, for actions that took less than a minute? It doesn't take long to kill someone. A quick stroke in the right place will do it. So why do we incarcerate them for so long a time?

The extent of consequences, good or bad, have nothing to do with the length or extent of the actions that caused them. They affect whatever they can affect. Your life is one life, but it is the one arena where you have free will. And here you get to make a choice. However, a choice is meaningless if it doesn't have any consequences. It's not a real choice.

Your life is where you, yourself, are brought before the thousand million temptations, whisperings, offerings, desires, feelings, and beliefs of the universe, and you are asked to choose. Which do you desire the most? Which do you want the most? Which do you worship? What are you willing to live for and what are you willing to die for?

And if you think about it, would it mean anything if life wasn't so short? If you had, say, 100,000 years to live, and you knew it. You knew that you were not going to die until a 100,00 years after you were born. Would you ever make a choice concerning your life and its meaning? Why would you?  You have an unfathomable number of years left, who cares? There's no reason for you to make a choice, to think, to muse, etc., on your life. You always have tomorrow.

The fact that our lives are so short, so seemingly fleeting, are an indication of how important it is. You are under pressure from everywhere. Everything wants your attention, your affection, your love, your worship. But what do you want? Do you want love? Do you want friendship? Do you want money? Power? Fame? Sex? Knowledge? What do you want? Life asks you that and you choose. And just as your actions today affect your life ten, twenty, or fifty years down the road, so your actions here will logically affect what your eternal fate will be.

Because you'll have made a choice by the end of your, even if you didn't know it. No matter what.

2. You should not be looking for God like that. You shouldn't be looking for him "in" something. God is God, and He is not pantheistic. He is everywhere, but not in everything. He is what He is. You should seek God first, and not just on feeling. You should seek Him out logically and spiritually.

Make no mistake about it, you will not get this clear-cut voice in your head saying "I am God, here I am." God doesn't work like that. God will either speak to you so clearly and definitively that you will remember it and know it instantly, or He will speak to you silently through the witness of others, the Bible, etc. But you must first find God and believe Him, and then you will start to see Him in the heavens, in the stars at night, by the seashore, in the trees, rivers, lakes, etc.

3. Christ was not against Churches by any means. You will not find this verse or principle anywhere in his teachings. Christ was against hypocrisy, which we Christians are against as well, but He taught in the synagogues and declared that He was building a Church. In the days of the Apostles people gathered in houses, today we gather in buildings set apart. There is no moral decree saying a church must be x shape or y size. Instead, the doctrine and teachings of it and its people are the key thing. Anything after that is irrelevant.

I would say that, from experience, house churches and small churches are the best environment for a congregation, but there is nothing automatically wrong with a mega-church either. What matters is their beliefs and actions, and I stay away from mega-churches because such an environment tends to conduce wishy-washiness and meaningless fluff in doctrine and teaching.

4. They are not. There is no verse in the Bible that says this, nor has anyone not lampooned or criticized by the Church taught so. You are confusing the fact that the Bible says women and men have different places and roles in society. The Bible and Christianity has always taught that a man should have one wife and remain true to her, and that a man should love his wife and treat her as he would himself. Women simply have a different role to play.

This is not to say women cannot go out in the workplace and work and provide for their families if there is an actual, substantive need for this. If a woman is single and has children there is nothing in the Bible or in Christians that will stop them or criticize them from doing so. What we criticize is the situation where a woman goes out and provides while there is a perfectly able and capable husband living with her that does not do so. That situation is entirely out of whack and wrong. Women are naturally bent towards child raising. And everyone knows it. Everyone. :P         

5. Ah, yes, the question of free will. Despite the rantings of the Calvinists, free will is the one of the quintessential pillars of Christianity. God does not have absolute control over you. This is not because He could not have such control, but because He does not use it. He does not want it to be that way. He wishes for you to be your own creature with your own will because He loves you. He wants you to come to Him, but He will not force you to do so. That is what makes a choice meaningful.

"Perfectly made, but free to fall." If someone has the ability to make the right decision, it logically follows he can make the wrong one too. It is the cost of free will, and a dear one, but the price could be no other.

6. The Sabbath was a divine decree given to the Jews under the Mosaic Law concerning rest on the seventh day of the week. This is one of the most unique commandments God has ever given man. Unlike murder, rape, adultery, fornication, etc., there is nothing intrinsically wrong on earth about not resting on one day out of every seven. It has only been wrong because God has said so. The reason for this was not only for the Jews to set themselves apart from the other cultures around them, but also for their own wellbeing.

Now, one of the key things about Christianity is that the Mosaic Law, the Law given by God to the Jews, was abolished at Christ's death and resurrection. It's purpose was done and fulfilled. We don't go around practicing the law or sacrificing to animals because Christ has already paid that sacrifice once and for all. This abolishment included the Sabbath. It no longer applied.

HOWEVER, this does not mean the moral principles of the Law were abolished. It means the system of the law and its rituals were abolished. God and good do not change. Murder, adultery, fornication, etc., were still wrong after the Crucifixion, and they are the commandments and principles of God. We simply follow them because we love God and want to do His will, not because we are legally bound to do such a thing.

The Sabbath, because it was a ritual, arbitrary law, was abolished along with the Mosaic Law. No Christian is commanded to keep the Sabbath anymore. The reasons Christians continued the practice of resting once every seven days, but doing so on the first day of the week instead of the last, were:

1) Worship. The primary purpose of Sunday and this setting aside of a day for rest was to worship God.

2) It worked! The seven-day week was excellent and is one of the best systems ever. The French tried to rebel against it during their disaster of a revolution and they had horses dieing in the streets from exhaustion.

3) Respect for Christ. Christ is risen and a new age is begun. Why not begin the week by worshiping him?

So that's it. Hope that wasn't too long. :)

Offline rubberduck

Religion
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2007, 03:27:22 PM »
Interesting thread..

Religion is something that I know very little about and, as such, choose not to challenge the ideologies put forward by them. Instead, I'll just add my 2c from  experiences and knowledge I have gained from receiving and discussing Tao.

Faith is something that people need to survive. We need to believe in something to make life worth living. Some are lucky enough to find that in themselves, being able to live self-sufficiently without need of (much) external guidance. Others turn to religion, and find their Faith there.

Personally, I believe in a Higher Power. I don't "worship" this Power because I know it is always there. It doesn't have a name, but speaks through my heart. If I listen, it will tell me the right path to take. Because there is a right path, we just have to choose it.

I refer to The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho as a very good read on the subject of Higher Powers..

Offline arashiro

Religion
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 06:40:30 PM »
sorry for bumping this thread, but since there is an existing thread, I am posting in it instead of creating a new thread.

Anyways, I am a Christian, and I believe in the existence of God.  

I wonder if there is a Christianity thread somewhere, since this thread seems to be a general religion thread, hmm....  *goes and checks the different pages*.

Offline cloudscream

Religion
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 04:57:08 AM »
Just browse in YouTube and you'll see the "supposed-to-be" open-minded and critical atheists put up mockery and use religious people and practices (especially Christianity and Islam) as laughingstock.

Offline arashiro

Religion
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2010, 10:42:13 AM »
^ Yeah, I've seen those youtube videos.

Offline MiracleDiving

Religion
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2010, 04:53:39 PM »

well...I dont believe in god, for me god was invented like another magic history.
if god exist, why bad things happend everyday? or maybe he is bad and dont wanna help sick ppl (ironic). well...this is my way of think

I'm very agree with this:
DJhozy:
"Thirdly, there are so many religion in the world, nobody knows which one is true or false. We prolly choose our religions by influences of friends, families or country."
Sure I dont believe in god because my father don't do it, my mother yes, but...dont care, I choosed dont believe.

and when u see the papa...with all that gold...is that necesary?

I dont hate religion....we are free and we can choose...but I really hate when somebody try to convince me that God exists and dont stop it.
I dont try to convince them about my religion (well, no religion)....why they have to do that?

now im talking with a friend who is buddhist because her family is buddhist, but she doesn't fu** around other ppl trying to convince about her religion. .that is what everybody should do..

Offline Ids

Religion
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 05:22:24 AM »
I think your religion is coming forth out of the surrounding you grew up with. I'm almost sure that if a christian was born in a family with no religion, he or she wouldn't believe in god. The same is if I'd grown up in a religious family, i'd probably be religious too.  Everyone learns the arguments to defend their opinion from the surrounding where they live in. For exemple, I could give lots of arguments why at least the things that are said in the Bible are not true, though on the other hand, a christian will have arguments to proove the existence of a God  :hee

Offline cloudscream

Religion
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 03:47:36 PM »
Theists do not need to prove the existence of God inside their own discourse. Religious philosophy is way beyond science and empiricism.
Bad things just happen when theists shove their beliefs in the throats of non-believers, while atheists continue to showcase the perceived superiority of science and empiricism over any other form of human knowledge.

Both of them I find extremely annoying and disrespectful.

Offline MonkOfWar

Religion
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 11:17:09 PM »
Religion huh?

:rolleye I am what the Islamic fanatics would call an 'infidel' or 'kuffar'.... although a registered Buddhist, I don't pay attention to my religion unless I'm visiting my home country. Only then I do the whole joss stick and hell money burning routine.

Not against religion in principle and believe in religious freedom. But I really don't like those god bothering psychos who try to impose their beliefs on others through force or indoctrination - biggest example being the Muslim terrorists who are waging war around the world under the stated aim of removing non Muslims from their lands and imposing Islamic law over the lands they take over.

I may not have much faith and don't make a habit of ascribing events to a higher power. But I do believe in karma, perhaps becoz of being influenced by 'My Name is Earl'. That whatever you do wrong will bite you in the ass later down the road.

Offline Kysel

Religion
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 10:45:18 AM »
Quote from: ">ch|yo<"
i'm religious...i do believe in god,spirits,ghosts etc...as i have experience some of them before...i believe that religion is what make the world a better place...every religion is almost the same...they teach us what's good what's bad...think rasionally...etc etc...
can't imagine the world w/o religion...
Even though I respect your opinion, I have to disagree with it. I'm not religious, I don't believe in any kind of god or superior being, but I can discern what is "right" from what is "wrong", and I also have to point out that religions may have created some "moral rules" that helped the world (Some of them are really useless, though), many wars have been caused because of religions.

Don't get me wrong, but I don't see religions helping the world, defining and creating moral codes is just part of human nature, and using gods to impose them, only made them apply easily because people would fear the consecuences of not following those rules.

Offline fire_knight

Religion
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »
Quote from: "MonkOfWar"
Not against religion in principle and believe in religious freedom. But I really don't like those god bothering psychos who try to impose their beliefs on others through force or indoctrination - biggest example being the Muslim terrorists who are waging war around the world under the stated aim of removing non Muslims from their lands and imposing Islamic law over the lands they take over.

not all Muslims are like that... i'm Muslim... and i respect non-muslim peoples...  my friend is Christian... but i respect him as much as i can... You should see the islam in all scopes ... Do not see a islam in one scope... on media, Muslim peoples are like an inhuman (terorist)... how about the massacres in Palestine?? I do respect our religion... ^_^... although islam law must be enforced... actually, islam law is almost same our law... even more than human rights ... if you wanna know more about islam... you can ask me... (although I do not know about Islam deeply)... forget about the terrorist ... Islam does not teach violence. Islam teaches us to respect each other ... That's the real Islam ... we also condemn about the terrorist... and please don't believe in the media too much ... they always give you a bad case of our religion ... ... but we're not like it.

Edit: i think, talking about the religion is not ethical... it doesn't matter what your religion is... you're atheist or not... if we're talking about it... it won't be ending... please delete this topic... as YUI-Lover, we don't be damaged because of different ideology (religion)... this topic makes me sad
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:53:05 PM by fire_knight »