Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Fanny

Religion
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 06:50:05 PM »
Quote from: "EndtoInfinity930"
I heard a story from someone one time, and they said that they went to a mission house (not really a mission house, but just like a club/house/place where anybody regardless of religion, sexuality, etc; are accepted) and they were Christian, and when they said so, they got kicked out of the house.  Now if that isn't closed-minded, I don't know what is.

interestingly enough, the world today seems to take christianity lightly. You know like: 'Oh look, Jesus is coming! Look busy!' While it IS, in a way, offensive, no one kicks a fuss.

Now draw a cartoon about Prophet Mohammed (spelling) and suddenly, muslim countries are outraged by this act. They say that it is a direct insult to their religion.

This rather intrigues me.

Offline viper92583

Religion
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 03:46:01 AM »
I would have to agree with both of you.  Christianity, while it is a religion, is more based on personal relationship, rather than just another religion.  Christians are encouraged to quite frankly talk to God as if they are talking to a friend or mentor, or at least that is the way I view it.

There is a growing trend of Christianity being taken for granted, and I'm not sure what to think of that just yet.  It's a very odd trend, where people will irreverently claim that the second coming is upon us, or the end is near, or any one of another things.  And yet Christians do very little in terms of getting riled by this, because they realize that these things aren't true, but that God himself is the only one able to decide, or know when these things are coming.

I don't know.  Perhaps I'm speaking incorrectly in some of my perspectives, because, while I hold Christian values and beliefs, I also have constantly been considering them, in order to have the best understanding, both of my beliefs, and of myself through those beliefs.  I'm sure I don't always live the way I should, but I am constantly working on improving myself.  But I still do struggle with the idea of God as 3 in one, how that is possible, and what his role is.

I'm beginning to think more and more that God the Father guided creation, while allowing it to evolve naturally, while Jesus came in human form to teach by example, and the Holy Spirit remains with us, helping us stay strong in our beliefs.  Again, I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the Trinity is a sort of evolution.  Then again, I'm a scientist, so this is kind of a skewed perspective.  *shrugs*

Offline WhisperedFlame

Religion
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 11:15:25 AM »
I feel disinclined to believe in any deity, although I do believe that they probably do exist. It's simply a manner of respect for the belief that others show for God, etc that makes me believe that they exist. Your belief makes it exist. You don't need any more than that. I don't have the faithto believe in any particular religion though. I believe it's called being agnostic. If I had to identify with any religion, it'd have to be a blur between buddhism and christianity, since I've been brought up in a Christian background but my parents have tried to raise me as a Buddhist.

Offline cloudscream

Religion
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 12:49:10 PM »
Quote from: "ravnstock7"
There is an essay by C.S. Lewis that has he's take on religion and in it I found some truth. In it he says that "every religion holds a glimmer of truth somewhere." It is true that no religion or system of belief has a monopoly on truth or eternal life or God. Also, all systems of beliefs are formed by humans and, as humans naturally are, flawed somewhere.
i agree with that.

Offline zuttodayo

Religion
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 02:32:32 PM »
I'm fine with whatever religion you are so long as - just as Anna says - you dont try to shove it down other peoples throats.  that is, as far as I can see, something psychological; likely as a child you grew up in a dismissive environment where you were told that you were WRONG and were unconciously offended by that.  As a result, as one grows up, there is a need to feel RIGHT, thus the forcing of views and etc.  Some people think that all this wishy washy psychology stuff is dumb and has no merit, but its because they're offended; deep down they feel its true.

I respect people of faith.  One of my best friends is an extremely devout Christian, and I respect her not only because she is so dedicated, but because she never forces her views on anyone.

Where it crosses the line for me is when people start...uuugh. Well for example, recently the health club I go to was bought by the Church down the street.  Ok, I'm fine with that, but then what did they start to do? They're trying to convert the people who work out!! Come on! I'm trying to work out!  I'm trying to taking care of my physical health right now, not my spiritual health!

As for my personal beliefs, I'm pretty much...a mess XD ...sometimes I belive there's a higher power (a la Christianity), but I truly also belive that there is reincarnation (a la Buddhism)... aaand I have a dash of Shintoism. But all my views are rather shallow... so I can't say I have a religion, or any knowledge of one really.

At the same time though, I truly belive in science.  Personally (and just personally -_-          ) I can't see a way around Evolution.  There is NOT ONE shred of scientific evidence yet that proves that dinosaurs and humans coexsited.  There was that whole story about the dinosaur foot print with the human foot print in that.  But think about it.  A 60 ton dinosaur makes a footprint in the earth.  Is a 60 kilo human reeeaaally going to make an imprint in the hard-packed earth that the 60 TON dinosaur compressed?

And there seems to be the misunderstanding of humans evolving directly from primates.  "I didn't come from a monkey."  Well hell no, I didn't either!  Primates and humans simply share a common ancestor.  Through enviromental circumstances, natural selection allowed those with better genetics suited to that enviroment live and pass on offspring, who carried those genes and so on and so forth.  Thus the environmental changes promted changes that eventually led to the modern day human.

Haaa well.  Thats just what I personally think; no flames please -_-

Offline DJhozy

Religion
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 04:37:48 AM »
i totally agree with you zutto.
I was a catholic but i lost my faith to science & wikipedia.

CAUTION
-------------
Do not read this post if you're very religious. Offensive information below.

Firstly, research shows that dinosaurs roam our planet before homo sapiens(human) existed. Maybe we did existed but it was primitive form of our current species thanks to evolution. So why doesn't the scriptures mention about dinosaurs?

Secondly, after reading up alot about astrophysics and cosmology, earth happens to be an ant in an ocean. We live in planet earth. Planet earth exist in our solar system. Every solar system has planets & a sun. In a galaxy, there are billions & trillions of solar systems(stars). In the universe, there is billions & trillions of galaxies. So what prove do we have that we are the only planet that support life forms? There is a 99.99999999999999999% chance that there are other species out there. Just take note, every night, look at the sky and see how many stars you can find. Each one of them is a solar system just like ours(with a sun). So is there heaven & hell after all? Is our world the only world around?

Thirdly, there are so many religion in the world, nobody knows which one is true or false. We prolly choose our religions by influences of friends, families or country.

Fourthly, the scriptures of all religions has been passed down by books & from mouth through don't know how many 1000s of years. Anybody could alter the meanings accidentally/purposely, we do not know. Whatever it is, it is all man made because man invented languages. It wasn't god who invented languages. You can go ask people who study linguistics about how languages came about.

I do believe that there is someone who created the entire universe including us. Just that.

PS: There has been something going around about the "last gospel of god". I'm not sure but i've heard about it. Note: This is something that i'm unclear about so i may be wrong. For more information, go watch the movie "stigmata" or google "the gospel of mark"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Gospel_of_Mark
Secret Gospel of Thomas

Offline Alpharius

Religion
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 09:05:46 AM »
Quote from: "DJhozy"
Firstly, research shows that dinosaurs roam our planet before homo sapiens(human) existed. Maybe we did existed but it was primitive form of our current species thanks to evolution. So why doesn't the scriptures mention about dinosaurs?

actually, the scriptures do mention dinosaurs. most people are just too lazy to actually look it up

in this case, the dinosaur is labled as a behemoth, or a large creature. most people say the translation for it is a hippo or an elephant, but then the following description wouldnt match.

Job 40:15-24 Look at the behemoth, which I made along with you and which feeds on grass like an ox. What strength he has in his loins, what power in the muscles of his belly! His tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are close-knit. His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like rods of iron. He ranks first among the works of God, yet his Maker can approach him with his sword. The hills bring him their produce, and all the wild animals play nearby. Under the lotus plants he lies, hidden among the reeds in the marsh. The lotuses conceal him in their shadow; the poplars by the stream surround him. When the river rages, he is not alarmed; he is secure, though the Jordan should surge against his mouth. Can anyone capture him by the eyes, or trap him and pierce his nose?

Offline Fanny

Religion
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 01:53:58 PM »
science has proven wonders, benefitted mankind for many years. but let me ask, have u pondered how some people, with religion a cornerstone in their lives, can go about so full of enthusiasm and drive and motivation?

i tell u, its faith thats driving. faith is believing in something that you can't see or feel. but they believe. science can't explain that, so to me, this is what separates religion from science,

Offline MDV

Religion
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2007, 04:10:30 AM »
I have a few questions about christianity which i really need an awnser to (sorry for my bad English)

1: Is an eternal reward or an eternal punishment a little too much of a judgement for such a (relativily) short life.

2: I should be able to see and feel god in everything, but I don't...What am I doing wrong?

3: Jesus Christ was against churches, why are churches built for him?

4: Why are women inferior to men?

5: (this one is the most important)... So if god has all control over me, why can i think of picking up my pen...And then pick up my pen out of free will? If god ordered me to do that why hasn't he ordered me to turn to his religion  yet?

6: God told moses the people should rest on the last day of the week (saturday) and so did he tell Muhammed.Then why do the Christians beleive the first day of the week (sunday) to be the day to rest? Does this mean god changed his opinion (2 times) or does this mean one of the 3 prophets isn't telling the truth. (as far is I know  Islam, and Christanity are based on Judaism. So i  expect their god to be the same )

Please awnser seriously instead of flaming me. (even if these are actually very stupid questions)

Thanks in advance

Offline DJhozy

Religion
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007, 09:32:48 AM »
Quote from: "Alpharius"

actually, the scriptures do mention dinosaurs. most people are just too lazy to actually look it up

in this case, the dinosaur is labled as a behemoth, or a large creature. most people say the translation for it is a hippo or an elephant, but then the following description wouldnt match.

Job 40:15-24 Look at the behemoth, which I made along with you and which feeds on grass like an ox. What strength he has in his loins, what power in the muscles of his belly! His tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are close-knit. His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like rods of iron. He ranks first among the works of God, yet his Maker can approach him with his sword. The hills bring him their produce, and all the wild animals play nearby. Under the lotus plants he lies, hidden among the reeds in the marsh. The lotuses conceal him in their shadow; the poplars by the stream surround him. When the river rages, he is not alarmed; he is secure, though the Jordan should surge against his mouth. Can anyone capture him by the eyes, or trap him and pierce his nose?
you see, that's y in the bible there are millions of words that are used to describe different things. We do not know for sure about anything unless we can get the original writers back to life to enlighten us.

Besides, not all dinosaurs are big. There are big and small ones. You can simpy use the word "behemoth" to justify the dinosaur existence, anybody can do it. But for people like me, I only believe in concrete evidence. I have to see for myself in order to believe.

Sorry for this comment, it's just my personal opinion. No offence.

Offline DJhozy

Religion
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2007, 09:35:19 AM »
Quote from: "Fanny"
science has proven wonders, benefitted mankind for many years. but let me ask, have u pondered how some people, with religion a cornerstone in their lives, can go about so full of enthusiasm and drive and motivation?

i tell u, its faith thats driving. faith is believing in something that you can't see or feel. but they believe. science can't explain that, so to me, this is what separates religion from science,
that's a nice way of putting it. You're very matured in discussing topics like that. So are you a free thinker, or ?

Offline Alpharius

Religion
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2007, 09:55:53 AM »
you see, that's y in the bible there are millions of words that are used to describe different things. We do not know for sure about anything unless we can get the original writers back to life to enlighten us.

Besides, not all dinosaurs are big. There are big and small ones. You can simpy use the word "behemoth" to justify the dinosaur existence, anybody can do it. But for people like me, I only believe in concrete evidence. I have to see for myself in order to believe.

well of course. there are many different ways of saying one word, if we used the same word to describe a certain thing it would become redundent and boring.

anyways kinda off topic but, the term dinosaur means terrible lizard. its a more recently made term to describe what they were so obviously the Bible wont specifically say the word "dinosaur" in it. come to think of it...you're right, not all of the "dinosaurs" were big. but then that would make the whole term "dinosaur" obsolete then, right?

Offline Fanny

Religion
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »
DJHozy, avoid the double posting unless you're posting like 3 hours after your original one :)         
secondly, i'm a Christian and proud of it. Though i'm not one to (quote endtoinfinity) shove down my beliefs down you.

the Bible describes alot of things in many different ways.. that explains why there are so many versions. To others, it may seem like it's a holy book for Christians to meditate upon. To Christians, it is part of our spiritual armour to combat what we call, an everyday spiritual warfare. Again I can't fully explain, but the Bible is just a vital part of a Christian's life. Just like prayers on Friday or annual fastings are important to Muslims.

To answer MDV, my answers may not be fully 100% correct (someone can back me up) but I'll take a shot:

1) There's not too short a life to accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. For in the bible it says no one comes to the Father but through Him. Even if you're on your deathbed and you accept Jesus right there, you'll be in paradise.

and about the whole 'if you don't accept you go to hell' thingy, i can't give really give a full answer (GIN NEED HELP) but it's just part of the Christian religion.

2) You're not doing anything wrong. Just that there are 'forces' in this world that we can't simply experience. Again, it's all down to faith - believing in something that you can't see or feel.

3) Because Jesus Christ is the church! Our bodies are a temple of worship for Him. But because of modern times, I guess the churches are a way of remembering Him.

4) thats not really a religious question. It's more of a debate question bordering the lines of feminism.. which I don't wanna go there haha.

5) the last day of the week isn't Saturday. It's Sunday. If you look at the book of Genesis (the very first chapter of the Bible), it says that God created the Earth in 6 days and on the 7th day, He rested and reflected upon his creation. 7th Day, being Sunday, is the day Christians rest.. and also the day they go to church to give praise to God.

The principles of christianity and islam are somewhat similar, but no, there are no SAME God in a religion. Im sorry but i cannot give an explanation why.

Offline For_the_Ears

Religion
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2007, 06:41:43 AM »
@DJhosy: lol lost faith to wikipedia. sorry if im laughing while you are serious about that...

answer me this (anyone who knows): if there is one who is truly devout in a faith and another who is not at all, and they both do nothing to harm a soul or being in this world, would only one of them (the devout believer of some higher-being) go to this place sometimes called "heaven?"

Offline Alpharius

Religion
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2007, 07:30:52 AM »
Quote from: "Fanny"
5) the last day of the week isn't Saturday. It's Sunday. If you look at the book of Genesis (the very first chapter of the Bible), it says that God created the Earth in 6 days and on the 7th day, He rested and reflected upon his creation. 7th Day, being Sunday, is the day Christians rest.. and also the day they go to church to give praise to God.

no no...hes right, the last day of the week is saturday. we go to church on sunday because it just seems more convienent for us. The ppl who follow Judaism actually go by the original rule and go to church and rest on saturday.

i guess its just that the world kinda changed its beliefs.
if you look on a calender, you'll notice that saturday is the last day of the week (aka, week"end") and sunday is first day of the week.