Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why did you learn the guitar?  (Read 5363 times)

Offline Mayu

Why did you learn the guitar?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2007, 06:53:58 AM »
Well, I'm going to start playing ( does it count?, anyway)
This is my story^^.when I was a child my grandfather usually tried to introduced us into the music (that's what I think) He taught us how to sing even tough he didn't have high skills about it, but he played the guitar really good, I found really interesting about that instrument, I always thought "oh it's a big instrument how melodies can come out from this"( I was a child

Offline speedphantom

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2007, 10:26:28 AM »
@AltVi3tCutie: WOW........... :o          your brother bought you an electric guitar just like that!?!?! Thats awesome haha :lol: . Nat influenced you hehe!

What were you doing homework at a friend's party for :blink:         

@Mayu: Great story!! Your English is perfect :P         

Yui creates another guitar, she should be proud :guitar

Offline Hillshire

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 11:11:51 AM »
i was inspired to play the guitar by a little band called My Chemical Romance and bought my first acoustic to play their songs...it got kind of boring after a while so i stopped...

then i heard YUI's It's Happy Line a while ago and decided to get another guitar - a fender acoustic - to play her awesome music...

as she released more singles and albums my guitars just couldn't keep up...so i bought an almanso for her songs with softer melodies and a fender strat for all her other songs...

i'm best at the song Good-bye Days 'cause its my favorite song and a have someone to sing it for me while i play!

hopefully i can be at least half as good as YUI someday...

Offline speedphantom

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 08:21:15 PM »
Whoa!!! You have 3 guitars!!?! :o         

Do you mean Almansa guitars?

What type of Fender do you have? I'm getting a CD-220SCE Bubinga XD

http://www.guitartrader.com/itm_img/AGFNVV-CD220BUB-f.jpg

Deleted User

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 10:13:56 PM »
1) Cos all my friends were doing it.

2) Cos chicks love guys who play guitar.

So, why not? Haha...

Hey, everyone's gotta start somewhere, amrite?

Anyways... that was almost 11 years ago now, and I've changed my outlook considerably as you might be able to tell from my other posts.

Offline finix65

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 08:51:19 AM »
I started playing the guitar solely because of yui!! XD My sisters both got a guitar a few years ago.. i was still an enthusiatic violinist then so i didn't realli care.

But last year i realli got hooked onto yui and i love her so much LOL so last month i picked up my sis's old guitar and i got some yui notes since i can sightread.

I asked my sis the notes the strings haha and she told me this !
Eddy Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddy LOL and i kept thinking good and bye are one string cause of yui's song good-bye days LOL so i was looking and tokyo and plucking the strings with my thumb, and it felt so good. i started learning chords and it felt even better.

Next thing i realise i was going mad on the guitar!! I play at least 10 hours a day haha. first thing i do when i get home at 2.30pm is guitar, all the way till 7 when i have dinner then after that guitar from 7.30 till 11pm. then i go to sleep an get up at 3am and play thru the night then i go to school at 6.30am HAHA

Yeah so i'm fully self-taught.. i can play like all of yui's songs now..including the jam solo XD wahaha!! all in one month ^^

Yeah that's my story i guess. My fingers don't hurt at all o_o

Oh and i'm 14 this year

Offline asuna

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 11:30:38 AM »
Because of YUI? nah.  :sry

Lets see... I was in my school's Chinese Orchestra since I was 13. My instrument was this minature pipa called a liuqin which is a 4-stringed instrument that has a reeally high-pitch.

^thats my baby way before i got my guitar.

Anyway I learnt quite a lot about music during the 6 years I was in the orchestra, though the Chinese way was different from the Western way (we use numbers instead of notes). And since my liuqin is meant to be strummed using a pick (or finger picks), I kinda developed my strumming and picking skills during that time. My fret hand also became more agile since Chinese music calls for very fast playing.

When I was around 15-16, I started to listen to Japanese music and the first artist I supported was Ayumi Hamasaki. I remember watching her A museum live and was taken by her lead guitarist Yoshio. He's uber crazy, churning out improv solos and all that cool stuff. That was how I got the inspiration to learn the guitar (strange that its not some guitar god like Jimi Hendrix or Santana, but Yo-chan's not bad either XD). 1 year later after my O-levels, I went straight to get myself a Maestro accoustic.

Probably because of my past "training" I found playing the guitar rather easy, though I had to spend some time learning the chords and switching fast enough. And my fingers really hurt thanks to the large gap btw the fretboard and the strings on my guitar. I played mostly Chinese pop songs (they have really simple chord progressions), until I joined a band and started playing English rock (yes, with my accoustic). I rather liked rock during that period and dreamt of getting an electric.

After getting my Cort Z-Custom electric, for about half a year I was constantly playing on my electric and I kinda forgot about my accoustic. Until I watched Taiyou no Uta, and discovered the amazing person that is YUI. Cute girl + guitar = <3<3<3 And so I started learning her songs on my accoustic and now I love both my guitars =)

edit: Oh and to give some credit to YL, I started to improve my skills after deciding to join YL collaboration 2 =) I'm slowly learning about scales and all that complicated stuff, so I hope I'll be able to start composing songs soon =)

Offline XxcronoxX

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 12:11:41 PM »
As my father always listens to hte beatles, led zeppelin, the eagles, etc, little by little I was interested in this type of music (rock music) and especially the guitar ... then one day I buy myself the game Guitar hero (the first one) and remain me o_O ... a few days later I put to see the anime Beck , and I still have that O_O ... and it was when i listen to Yui's songs that finally I buy myself my first guitar (fender strat black ^^)

Thanks to my dad, Beck and Yui!! :good
Sorry if my English is bad.. :sry

Offline Cross

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »
I learned the guitar to pick up girls.

Offline love4yui

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2008, 10:54:04 PM »
i am interested in music... when i was in grade 8, i wanted to play an instrument at school. there was only one guitar club (no piano or violin). i don't have much interest in guitar at that time. but i decided to go for it. after a few months, i stopped learning guitar (i don't know why) until i got to know YUI and saw this performance...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hMeszpePvgo
After that performance, i picked up my guitar and started learning YUI's songs until now  :cool

Offline shinji_tono

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2008, 11:26:59 PM »
Quote from: "Cross"
I learned the guitar to pick up girls.
that's really cool cross!

well I've decided to learn the guitar because I really wanted to play it. I thought that while playing the guitar, my feelings will be mixed in with it. so I've decided so.
but I gradually stopped due to lack of time and mentor to look after me. someone taught me how to do it first that's why I was looking for a mentor figure along the way. but heavens I don't understand why, but I stoppped.

when I started to hear YUI-san especially Good-bye Days, I knew I had to learn to play that song and start playing again. it was my new inspiration to play the guitar again. and I'm learning by myself. :clap

currently, all I know to play are YUI-san's songs. I'd like to know more than her songs but other artist's as well like John Mayer and Jason Mraz but theirs are still challenging for me.

dakara

GANBARIMASU!!!

Offline hanayui

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 01:25:08 PM »
i just saw this thread and found it interesting because of all the different stories.

i actually was always interested in learning how to play guitar since i very young but since i was also very poor i never pay that much attention to it.
when i was 16 (2006) i met one of my best friends now who taught me the major chords in guitar.
i was trying to learn but i didn't have my own guitar so i quit after i learned about 3 songs. sometimes i would grab his guitar and try to play but i didn't feel comfortable and felt like i would never learn.

i found out about yui in late 2007 maybe september when her single love and truth came out. the video that i first saw was cherry and since i was watching bleach at that time i got into her. i read her biography and got hooked on her power of will and i told myself " i will start learning again"
i got my own guitar and started playing again which wasn't as hard anymore. i still gotta get my electric but i cant find one that i like enough yet.

i didn't start because of yui but but she inspired me and gave me courage to continue.
i'm starting to find out that this is the right path for me.

thanks yui.<3

Offline MonkOfWar

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 05:30:32 PM »
Never had an interest in guitar before. I didn't do so well in violin simply becoz I can't keep rhythm and you have to pass Grade 5 theory to take Grade 5 practical. Theory to me is like nuclear physics to a monkey.

Anyway I started sometime in April this year simply becoz I wanna be able to play Yui songs some day.... also I need a new hobby. I wanna also learn how to cover whatever I fancy, like tracks from games and movies, apart from the backups of the chinese/canto songs I adore.

Offline ijs13

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2009, 10:44:49 PM »
my dad inspired me and i like listening to music!
i started studying when i was 10 years old and i don't know what to say anymore! :sry

Offline Cybergeron89

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2009, 04:15:54 AM »
Quote from: "MonkOfWar"
Never had an interest in guitar before. I didn't do so well in violin simply becoz I can't keep rhythm and you have to pass Grade 5 theory to take Grade 5 practical. Theory to me is like nuclear physics to a monkey.

Anyway I started sometime in April this year simply becoz I wanna be able to play Yui songs some day.... also I need a new hobby. I wanna also learn how to cover whatever I fancy, like tracks from games and movies, apart from the backups of the chinese/canto songs I adore.
^^^ THIS

except instead of violin, its clarinet...and im ok at it..or good....

In face, i wasnt into music(songs) until li heard (well Re:member by FLOW was the first song..-eva- then My Generation what really got me into music..yep i know