Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why did you learn the guitar?  (Read 5364 times)

Offline aimaime

Why did you learn the guitar?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 12:06:47 AM »
i'm quite a newbie in playing the guitar (started sometime mid October 06). the reason? Goodbye Days! i love the Taiyou no uta and the song so much. and after watching the movie i fell in love with the acoustic sound (especially in the beginning when she lit the candles and sang It's happy line) and decided to try learn to play it at least a little bit and see how it goes.

my younger bro has a guitar since he takes lessons so i borrowed his guitar and just started to play the song. i had a real problem with the strumming part at the beginning, took quite a while to get it right. but i'll never forget the first moment i did get it right.. nor will i forget the pain in the fingers.. lol..

anyway now i'm still pretty clueless about guitar theories and stuff but i'm determined to learn more songs. although i can play more yui songs now i'm never sure if my strumming is right. oh well... but i'm totally addicted. love this site because there are many who are also learning and many who are very kind in helping out as well :)         

oh yeah.. right now I know how to play ONLY Yui songs... and Happy Birthday.. hehe...

Offline Shifty

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 05:57:31 AM »
Well, Here's My Story (a rather uninteresting one though...)

Well, unlike a lot of you, I wasn't really inspired by others. When I started the guitar, I actually didn't knew anyone who was playing it too. Many people I knew were into HipHop,RnB and stuff like that.

So anyway the story starts here.
In the summer of 2004 (I was 16 then)I went to HK on vacation.
One day I came across a little shop with some guitars. Actually, it wasn't really a guitarshop, it was more a place where you can take lessons to play instruments. So kind of a music school (but the place was really, really small). Anyway, I somehow was attracted by the guitars. So I went into the shop. After a while, someone came to me, and gave me a brochure. And said something about learning the guitar. At the time I didn't really thought much about it. After that, I left. But during that day, I kept thinking about it. I thought about learning to play the guitar before, but I wasn't really serious. But now I thought that this was my chance to try it. Since I was in HK, the prices for me wasn't really expensive.  
So the next day, I went there again, bought a guitar (a"cheap"one, to begin), and I signed up for 4 lessons (since I just stayed a month in HK).

One month passed, and I had to leave HK. Because school was starting again.
Back home, a lot of things happened, school wasn't going well and also, there were some other problems too. So I didn't had time for the guitar.
One year later (mid 2005) I started to pick up the guitar again. but still, I somehow wasn't really motivated. Late 2005, I first learned about YUI. I saw that she was just 18 (around my age), and already accomplished that much. (Writes and make her own songs). I was motivated again. Early 2006, I even bought my first electric guitar (influenced by the music and bands I was listening), although I was still a guitar noob. I didn't take lessons though, because that's too expensive, so I learned from the internet and books.

Now one whole year have passed, and I'm still a guitar newbie. Mainly because I haven't really praticed.
But I'm totally motivated again. Music has become something special to me. Just picking up the guitar and strum it, playing some chords feels good.
I'm now going back to basic and play my classic guitar again!

Offline Roxy36

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 04:02:39 PM »
Guitar makes me feel like a man...

hahahahahahahahaha!!! no no no, i'm sorry... i was hoping to get a  :blink:          reaction from you guys... >D~

let's seeee....e... i started playing guitar becaussse.. . . .  .  .   .   .   .   !!!  ;)          <---and i'm using this face as a confused look...

wellll really, i just picked it up one day and  started to play on and off for about two years straight...that was probably because there were a bunch of instruments just laying around the house and *ahem* ... boredom can getchya, man, so that's basically what i did when i was stuck in the house...but yea, 15 is when i really kept at it and really fell in love with it...maybe due to the fact that it was also around the time when i took on skateboarding so i basically hung out with a bunch of skaters who some already knew how to play and were learning it too...i think the first songs that i played were "drive" by incubus, "here comes the sun" by the Beatles, and "i wanna grow old with you" by ermmm, Adam Sandler aka the Wedding Singer! haha...

most biggest influences so far in relation to guitar (that i give mucho thanx too!!)
-God
-My Family
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Avril Lavigne / Evan, her guitarist
-John Mayer
-Jimi Hendrix
-Do As Infinity / Ryosan, DAI's guitarist

yeaaa...basically ^ are the one's that REALLY pushed my guitar playing and really kept me going...

i mean, i was interested in a lot of music and it wasn't enough just listening to those songs, i wanted to play along with  them too!  :guitar  :lalala  :guitar

sooo yeaaa . . . is that ok? not really as long as everyone elses but i have to say, i did  just write this in a nut shell...

peace@

oh, and happy playing, guys...

out!

Deleted User

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 12:48:21 AM »
im still a newbie at guitar, but here's my story:
when i was young, i'd always prefer songs with guitar's sounds than piano, altho piano was alot more popular among my peers. but i didn't took any lessons back then 'cause my parents thought learning music is a waste of time and meant for only "talented" ppl. as i'm a person who gets tired of smth easily, i didnt insist to learn 'cause i thought this new interest of mine will die down soon.

but my passion for guitar didnt stop even when i turned 16. (it's just last year, haha) unlike many of you guys here, i wasn't inspired by any singer/guitarist, i nvr even thought of playing acoustic n singing. (but i like to fantasize myself playing guitar for some band :lol: )

so i finally persuaded my parents to let me take guitar lessons. i chose acoustic, because i had a friend, whom i enjoyed listening to her singing, so much that i thought i'd be willing to play the guitar for her to do the vocals part.

however, after only 2-3 months of learning, i quitted because the teacher wasn't teaching anymore. i thought perhaps i could try picking up a few things by myself, but there's alot of things i dunno and dont understand because i nvr learnt much about theory. haha i guess that's all, n i'm still trying to learn as much about guitar as i can right now.

Offline zenaku

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 09:09:09 PM »
Hello!!

um..I started playing guitar when i was 13, around 4 years ago. I didn't go to lessons till half a year later when i noticed that theory was also important. I was initially a drummer and played in bands for charity shows and free shows in parks. I live in hk. everyone else in my school was learning guitar but that didn't really influence me. What did influence me at first was a local rock/metal band that I kept bumping into when doing these charity shows. They had only one guitarist but she was a girl! now there's a lot of girls playing but back then it was a rare sight. Usually I would only focus on the drummer but after watching them i started noticing that there were only ppl on stage.. then i got into electric guitar and bought my first guitar. like a cheap no brand one.

After half a year of finding tabs, playing easy songs, jamming and all that. as I said before, i found out that theory was important. I was also forced to learn piano at an early age like many others and so classic theory was really the problem. but stuff like modes and different chord patterns was hard to self teach (for me at least), so I found a teacher.

I was only interested in rock and metal and never paid attention to acoustic songs or chords until I heard....guess who's name comes up next. obviously, until I heard YUI. Being a jrock fan, I listened to bands like L'arc en ciel, AKG, Ellegarden. Coincidentally, I'm also an anime fan, so as many jrock bands do songs for anime, I coincidentally heard LIFE by YUI. I liked how LIFE in particular had a fusion of acoustic and soft rock. The electric guitar part was fun to play and I thought of it as a good song.

Then From Me To You came out last year. I saw it while walking in a mall which sold imports. The picture on the album cover was a girl guitarist! though girl guitarists were already common last year, it reminded of the first girl guitarist I saw. Since the cover caught my attention, I went into the shop to see who's album it was. The name YUI reminded me of an anime song, so I read the track listing and saw LIFE. I remembered it was a good song so assumed that all her songs would be good so I bought the album. After listening to her whole album, I became interested in acoustic even more than electric and rock. So I went out and bought an acoustic and have been self teaching acoustic since.

I have 4 guitars which are
-Yamaha RGXTTD6 which I use to practice and play with the most. Has Duncan pickups.
-Gibson Supreme. its black and use to practice but hardly ever use in public. Also changed to Duncan pickups. original ones sounded really bad.
-Fender GDC200 is my first acoustic. I got it cuz I wanted an acoustic that could plug into an amp. Also saw a few GA's when I bought this guitar but they were too expensive...

Offline jampochi

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 10:13:51 PM »
because of YUI..

i'd start when i first seen YUI on animax..i didnt know who she was
and her song "tomorrow's way" caught my attention reaL good..
i searched everything i can about her & her songs..so there.
when i was singing to her songs..it feLt Like there's some-
thing Lacking..so that's when i've decided to Learn how
to pLay the guitar..thanks to YUI..i'm stiLL a newbie
though.weeeehaha!

Offline EndtoInfinity930

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 10:42:48 AM »
I started playing when I was about 12. (I'm 16 now).

It all started when my friend got me Michelle Branch's first album for my 12th [I think] birthday.  The album blew me away.  I LOVED Michelle, and I wanted to do what she did.  So I talked to my parents about how I was interested in learning guitar, so they bought me a cheap guitar from Walmart.  I started taking lessons, and I really liked it.  I didn't really know if I was going to stick with it, but it was something fun that I did.  The next year for Christmas, I got my first electric guitar.. a Fender Squier Bullet... red and black. [I named him Robin  :lol: ]

I took a break from guitar for about a year [I think it was when I was 14.. augh, I can't remember!!]  But then I started getting into it again because my friend knew I played guitar and she wanted to learn.  I taught her a little bit and she like got way better than me.  So I'm like WTF, I need to get better than her.  Haha, she still is kinda better than me.. but I'm a way better singer so it evens out XD

And I think if I hadn't discovered YUI, I wouldn't have been as passionate about music as I am now.  YUI helped me see that this is really what I want my career to be :)         

I currently have 4 guitars.

Acoustic
-Palmer [too lazy to go look at the model #.  It's sunburst, though] Name=Starfire
-Ibenez AEF30E Name=pending....

Electrics
-Fender Squier Bullet [black and red] Name=Robin
-Epiphone Les Paul Name=Raven

Offline BriaN

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 06:03:31 PM »
my story was

I took a guitar class in 9th grade, but wasn't really into it because it was for school and it didn't spark the motivation. I had a guitar for 5 years, but I didn't getting into it and motivated to play until 6 or 7 months ago from watching this anime Beck: Mongolian Chop squad and as well as Yui, I feel kind of ashame for the years I lost on the guitar

oh orchestra is cool I used to play the bass so that is my past instrument background  :lol:

Deleted User

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 01:56:04 AM »
gee, Im very new here.. feels kindda weird to post a reply into.. space?
heh heh,
I started to learn the guitar just for fun(yea, kindda idiotic..)
cos when I was young i thought that "the more the merrier".. i learnt piano, guitar(self learnt) and then violin..
so basically im a jack of all trades BUT master of none.
anyways its like last last year that i started to be serious in learning guitar =)

Offline bnn

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 05:27:06 AM »
haha inspired by YUI totally

then by other bands slowly e.g Mr Children, Sambomaster and oh Suga Shikao!

now i'm still crappy.
i cant play any songs! T-T

haha yea... trying to get barre chords down hard......... =o

Offline speedphantom

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 12:43:04 PM »
Ah, well I love rambling so rambling is what you'll get! :lol:

I'm 18 now and I've played piano since I was 4, doesn't mean I'm good mind you :rolleyes: .

I found that most modern music was all about guitar and didn't feature much piano so I wanted to learn guitar in that sense. I have a friend who has been playing guitar for about 5-6 years and he was the one who sold me his old junky Valencia nylon string guitar.

Last year I have another friend who plays guitar a fair bit, we used to go to his house a lot so I played there a tiny bit. I started up a band with my friends to perform at the final assembly for year 12 which is the last year of high school. From then on I just had a great interest for guitar. I just loved being able to play my favourite non-piano songs :P          .

When I got my Squier and Marshall amp last year in December I just played heaps! I play everyday now and I love guitar. My biggest obsession at the moment. I'll be getting a Fender CD-220SCE Bubinga soon. I have a friend who lives in Newcastle, North of Sydney, who has friends who own a music show so she'll be able to get me that guitar for around cost price!

http://www.guitartrader.com/itm_img/AGFNVV-CD220BUB-f.jpg

Obsessed with that thing! Its on order at the moment so I should have it within a month I hope! Can't wait ^^;

That's my guitar story ;)

Deleted User

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 01:04:36 PM »
It really was YUI XD Anyways here's my story:

I love listening to music (well no duh) and thought it would be cool to play some of the stuff I enjoy. Picking an instrument was the problem though. I managed to cut it down to piano or guitar...both pretty common instruments....but after inquiring about piano, I realized that about half of my friends who played the piano were finished with lessons and were learning about how to teach and stuff. Not sure on details, I gave up after that.

So guitar it was. My family goes camping every summer and my parents thought it was a great idea....campfire songs....blah. Skip to Christmas 2005. I bought a guitar. Takamine Jasmine acoustic....dont' ask, I still have limited knowledge  :swt Took about 10 private lessons and realized the people there had absolutely no interest in teaching theory....just played random songs.

Then I quit for about half a year. LOL. :o           I know I'm not very commited. Winter comes by and I discover the greatness of YUI. Guitar gets a good dusting and tuning. I just started taking lessons at school so I'm practically totally clueless but yeah......at least I dragged 2 other friends to take up guitar with me (we're all girls!  :thumbsup: )....though they already mastered the piano..... :huhuhu I can't cite read fast enough to keep up haha.

Practise practise... :guitar
Oh I forgot. I'm 17.

Offline speedphantom

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 08:40:55 PM »
Sight reading is really hard! They say people who are good at maths are good at sight reading ie not me!!!

Piano is much more difficult to learn than guitar. I picked up guitar relatively easy since the theory for guitar isn't really anything compared with piano.

Keep practicing!! ^^

Offline Samart

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 08:53:10 PM »
Because of my oncle playing the BEATLES songs at my home...
One day he teached me Stand by me.

0h~!? Samart's uncle used to play our songs... How cool is it ?! May the Queen bless his uncle...

Deleted User

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 04:54:14 AM »
well, i went to my friend's party and she and my cousin was playing the guitar while i was doing my homework and i was like "wow, that's cool" so i got influenced by them first.  Then, i went home and told my parents that i wanted a guitar.  I begged them so much.  My parents didn't want to buy me an expensive one.  Instead, my dad said we had a small acoustic guitar in the basement.  So i've been using that one to practice.

Secondly, Michelle Branch inspired me with her song "everywhere (acoustic version)" and thirdly, Yui inspired me even more.  so i was searching on YouTube for Yui videos and i found videos of her playing the acoustic guitar and i also found your(Natalie's) video of Rolling Star (picking version) *i believe that's it?*  and i was really surprised and said to myself "i got to learn that!"  btw, you're really good Natalie. =] and i found this website because of Natalie ^_^         

A few weeks later, i went to my brother's house and an electric guitar arrived in the mail and i was like "omg omg omg!!" me and my bro started playing it and he said that he ordered an acoustic guitar too so yeah "OMG!" and he asked me if i wanted an electric guitar too...so i said yeah.  mines is arriving in the mail soon XD