Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why did you learn the guitar?  (Read 5688 times)

Offline nataliejwong

Why did you learn the guitar?
« on: January 02, 2007, 04:19:50 AM »
What inspired you to learn the guitar?

I'm kinda interested to hear what your stories are behind learning this instrument. Was it your friend(s) who got you to play the guitar? YUI? <- Hehe, most likely this one eh guys? Or perhaps, your sibling(s)? Parents(s)? I know a few of my friends who already owned a guitar because their dad already played the instrument. Yeah, so write your story out! I think it'll be an interesting read for all of us here on the forum.

If you like to reply to a member's post, please post it in the [REPLIES] thread. Thanks!

Here's my story:

It was at church back in summer of 2000, when I was 15 years old. The elementary school fellowship were moving to the high school fellowship, so there were more people in this new fellowship. That was the first time I saw someone play the guitar. At least, in person. The funny thing was that there wasn't one girl playing the guitar. They're were all guys. So, I made a decision that I should learn the instrument. I went home that night, and asked my parents if I could get a guitar. And in response, they kind of laughed, and said it was a guy instrument. A 'nono' for girls. Also, the guitar is pretty painful when you press down the strings and it'll give you 'indents' in your finger aka. callouses.

Anyway, it took me about a week to practically BEG my parents to buy me a guitar. FINALLY. A miracle, but I bet God helped me out with this one. They said, YES! But on one condition, they were only going to get me a MINI guitar because they were afraid I might not SERIOUSLY learn the instrument and they didn't want to spent too much on a guitar for a newbie like me. When I got my guitar, I locked myself in my room and spent about 6 hours learning basic chords because I wanted to. Crazy, I know. I think I had the SGHS (Severe Guitarist's Hyper Syndrome)  that night. I just made that up, but you get the idea.

Moving on, my parents were nice enough to ask their friends, if anyone taught guitar lessons, but I told them, I wanted to learn it on my own. Why? Well, I learned the piano when I was 4 years old, but my parents forced me to learn it, so I ended up hating the piano. I got up to Level 5. But I have to say, if I didn't learn the piano, I wouldn't understand music theory. At least the preliminary stuff like notes, chords, semitones, sharps/flats etc.

Now, I have 3 guitars. My mini 3/4 Takamine Jasmine classical (which I love so much), Ovation CS-257 + Ibanez SZ320MH..I'm hoping to get a Taylor acoustic. One day.. I will, one day.

So that's my story. Learning the guitar was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. At least, the best choice I made so far in my life. And yes, my fingers look dented but I don't care.
I think today there are female guitarists within the music industry, and that is really cool. It just shows that the guitar is not only for guys, but girls CAN play the guitar too. This is why YUI is awesome. It's also mainly the fact that she can REALLY play the instrument properly. There should be more musicians like YUI especially in the asian music industry as there's already a few  talented female guitarists/singers in western music industry. I have to say, anyone who plays this instrument is automatically my close friend. Guitar buddies! I love you! ...as a friend, of course, haha :guitar
Now it's your turn to write your story! I'm waiting ... I don't mind if it's long or SUPER long, actually it's better if it's SUPER DUPER long. :)

Offline >ch|yo<

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 05:01:58 AM »
well...here's my story...

By watching tv and seeing singers like micheal branch avril lavigne playin guitar...me and my sis thought it'll be cool learning the guitar...so we ask our parents and they allowed us 2 do so.They bought each of us a guitar and we started class.But after learning for about 3months we stopped since we had to move to somewhere else.
   But now that i've known YUI i decided to continue again,learning on my own..
Now i juz gotta get a darn tuning fork to begin learning.Overall i am learning guitar because of YUI  :D

Offline darrenSAN

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:19:04 AM »
erm... i started learning to play guitar when i was 15(im now going 20 alr, lol) by influence of my friend, thought that it was kinda cool to know how to play guitar. i got myself kinda cheap guitar ('karpok' brand, i wonder if you heard of it), so cheap that it was like only $35 then. started to learn i lil strumming and chords stuff, i don't even know how to tune a guitar then. after a few month, i fell off with my 'that' friend who influenced me to play guitar and from then onwards i seldom touch or should i say not even once i touch my guitar till recently after i was hooked by our charismatic yui. i won't like to take courses on guitar so i looked over the net to see whether there's any online guide to guitar noobies like me and i found a relatively useful site iplaymusic.com which shows videos guide from tuning to playing a full songs. at least now i know how to tune with a tuning fork. lol.. i want master it so that i can play my favourite song 'goodbye days' and 'feel my soul'.

btw, is there any guitar pros over here can kindly give me some tips or information to better learn my skills on guitar? appreciate it alot man!! :D          hope i can see some reply here.

Offline EzakNoKaze

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 05:24:36 AM »
Hm...I see...That's interesting.

Well, in my case, I've always been fascinated by pianists and guitarists. I've always wanted to get one of those but I couldn't become determined enough...(That's what I felt). It's when I played Squaresoft games and looked up at the internet that I had become full of determination to play a mus. keyboard so I asked for one.
(That part was kind of off-topic...)
Now, after listening to some YUI and watching the videos, I've become determined enough to start playing guitar so I took out my savings and bought one for myself! XD

What's more? Determination is needed! It's a must! Because I had them at the time I started, I've become quite good in no time so...Don't just plainly start if you know that you just want to play...to show off.   :rolleyes:

Offline Tzyy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 05:40:49 AM »
Well, for me.. I didn't actually learn any music instrument seriously.
Until I'm 16, my dad suggest me to go for guitar. And I feel it might be quite interesting So I registered myself with a 11 years friend in a music school for classical guitar lesson. Mine is simple eh? Lol.

Offline zuttodayo

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 07:25:33 AM »
my parents would have random stuff blasting on the cassette tape player (so 90's haha) while i danced like crazy.  my dad taught me how to count a basic beat from early on, and my mom had sung to me all the time as a baby.  so my love for music focused around rythym and melody.  fastforward (alot); the summer before freshman year of high school, i decided on a random whim to pick up a guitar and learn an instrument (btw i have an obsession with instruments in general haha).  but i got discouraged because the strings made my fingers hurt, so i basically didn't play for all of freshman year.  i finally decided to get lessons the summer before sophomore year (so i was 15).  thats when i was finally introduced to chords, and it just took off from there.  but it wasnt until the year was half over when i finally got a decent guitar that i started to play constantly.  at the time i was listening to Hirakawachi Icchoume constantly, which is really heavily based on acoustic guitar, and i loved their music so much that i wanted to play and sing along with them.  so i looked and looked and looked until finally i found some of their chords online.  and when i found YUI, oh man.  at first i thought she was annoying but i saw that she played her own guitar so i was intrigued.  she totally inspired me and her music pushed me to get over my fear of barre chords.

as to why i learned the guitar... i guess i just really like the sound that it makes.  it really goes back to hirakawachi because back then i knew a lot less japanese than i do now, so my love for them was almost completely based off of their music.  but the chords gave off so much emotion that i loved, so i guess it was just a really emotional connection.  i never really forced myself to learn chords, i just kind of picked them up along the way whenever i wanted to learn a new song i found.  maybe im just lazy but im really horrible about consistent practice.  even though i go to guitar lessons mostly we just talk about music making and feeling the music more than music theory since i seem to like not retain that sort of formal musical training at all.  but i ought to.  

but anyway!  so yeah.  ze story of nina and le guitarrrrr. sorry that was a long post.  i stayed up for new years so im kind of crazy right now XD .  oh and sorry im not really being eloquent right now...i have no sense of sentance structure or style or anything haha.

Offline linku

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 07:57:58 AM »
I can't really remember why I wanted to play guitar. I just always have. I thought it was a cool instrument and I wanted to learn it ever since I was a little girl. I had a keyboard but I didn't get piano lessons (although I wanted them too). I taught myself how to play (aww I was a little 4 or 6 year old playing piano XD). The thing was, I was into sports. I was an athletic child, and people thought I was pretty athletic.

Once competition in sports got high for me, I thought, "to be the greatest athlete, I'd need endurance, and I don't have that, I don't work as hard as the other people". So I gave up on sports. I'm glad I did, because this was when I was in middle school and I took violin as my main strings instrument. My cousins both played violin, so I wanted to play it too, because it was such an expressive instrument. I looked back on how I was young and played piano and wanted to still play guitar. I realized I could easily adapt to music related things. I have good tonal memory (no I don't have perfect pitch like my friend >.<)(Ooh, by the way, Michelle Branch has perfect pitch, whoa! XD) For me, it was easy to figure out melodies of song on an instrument in an instant. I was good at my instruments and I enjoyed playing music.

So I auditioned at an arts high school and got in. YAY. And now I go to school where bunch of famous people graduated! XD Still majoring in music with my violin. =)

Finally on my 14th birthday I got a guitar! My parents bought me a cheap guitar (just in case they thought I didn't take it too seriously). My dad said if I got better, he'd buy me a more expensive one. But for $70, it's a pretty decent, well working guitar. I bring it to school whenever I can or feel like it just to play. At my school, a lot of people know how to play guitar. It's not surprising to find guitarists or pianists.

I've been playing for a year and a half. Still going. =)

So I don't remember how I got into guitar. I just knew I wanted one. It's amazing to see many female guitarists out there.

P.S HAHAHA I FINALLY GOT A MIRCOPHONE! I wanna record a YUI song and post it on the forum...I just don't know what song...XD hmm, but I have a bad voice. =P

Offline kh7yusuke

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 10:02:28 AM »
mine....

`my parents told me when i was 14 to learn to play the guitar and to study at yamaha school of music so i decided to follow them BUT when i was taking lessons...it was kinda hard and my teacher is sooooo very annoying :huhuhu so i was discouraged to learn the guitar...though i stopped learning the guitar...i learned so many things....and after 10 months.......

it was sunday night at 1:00 i heard GOODBYE DAYS and i was inspired again to learn the guitar 'cause the song was like talking to me....i was inspired to play the song...and when i was gonna search for the chords of these song....i eventually found this VERY VERY GREAT FORUM...and then i keep practicing the song ...kept listening to the song over and over again for the strumming patterns...and after a week... i got it....i can't believe it at first because first i decided not to play the guitar anymore but now...i do play better...^^

and now i try to play all of yui's songs and some songs i like to play....

`Practice Makes Perfect...^^

Offline Qinnie

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
:D          wow..i enjoyed everyone's story.. thanks for starting the topic natalie.. :)         

as for me..

hilarious when i think about it..it was 4years ago i think(unbelievable,im still a newbie at guitar now. :lol: ), well if i remember correctly, my interest for playing guitar started from when i watched this cartoon (yes, CARTOON) "as told by ginger" hehehe... and she played the guitar..the music was nice n everything..

then in school u always notice that girls either played the piano or violin and very very few played the guitar.. so i tot it be awesome to be different and play the guitar.

told my dad about it( he played the guitar back in his day, but he cant remember much now :huhuhu  to teach me). He didnt disapprove of the idea at all but he didnt get me a guitar instantly either :huhuhu

by the end of the year he did bring up the topic again n we went straight to the mall n bought me a really cheap one, well not as cheap as Darrensan's...

i didnt go for lessons...so basically played it for a few months using books but wasnt making any result, so  i put it down..n would only take it out once in a while for a few strum or two..

and i was terrified when i broke my 1st string..hehe tot my dad would scold me..but he didnt ( i was quite surprised coz that time i was like "crap crap i broke the string!!") :lol:

Finally, YUI changed everything!!!

well actually it was half coz of YUI and Half coz of all u guys n gals out here in this forum... :huhuhu  all of u hav been great help and together, u all n Yui really inspired me to play my guitar again...THANK YOU!!! I bought myself a Yamaha this time and thanks to u all, i see some progress in my playing..still need lots of work tot..

I'm so Thankful to u all  :hug  i learn alot form u all

Offline Yue

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 12:52:32 PM »
Hmmm... I decided to learn the guitar because being a JDorama freak I watched "Taiyo no uta" which was in the summer last year. I heard that there was a film version, so I watched it. "Goodbye days" song really caught my attention and loved it in an instant, I learned the words and sang it to myself. *when no one was around* Pretty much that was the first, in 14 years of my life, to play an instrument. My first was a recorder. :lol:

I was already a fan of YUI when she did "Life" for Bleach, I really like singing her tunes, but never thought about the playing her music. I didn't have to look that far on a guitar because my sister owned one and it was collecting dust and the strings were broken. (TT___TT )

But yeah I was pretty much influcened by YUI and the JDorama. Even though Erika's singing was... rephrase thinking... it wasn't that good but the song is good. So, now I'm kindof looking at music in a different perpective instead of enjoying the music, I try and pay attention to the beat and how the instruments are played. I guess my training ears. XD Sounds sad but it's a weird thing to do.

But it's a shame that I can't give my full attention to learn the guitar, but at least I'm trying to self-teach, reading online and learning from great people like Natalie and other people who would make video samples. :D

Offline Kcman123

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 01:16:34 PM »
heh, I always had it in for music, played the piano when i was young~  I found out that I wanted something else Something more i could do alone in my room.  piano really didnt cut it so guitar really put me through.  I really like my guitar, but i really would like to master my electric/acoustic guitar.  I bought my first guitar after hearing yui.  You can say that she may have pushed me over the edge XD  Well at least her songs are pretty easy.  Makes me want to learn guitar more and more to be someone as good as natalie though.

I learned piano till i got till the 8th grade~ which i FAILED! 3x!!! Its so embarassing... BUt i kind of expected it cuz.. well... I didnt really feel the care for it anymore.  I really did not practice much, blew it off till tests and just basically semi-winged it.  I enjoy playing music that I like, not forced that is what music really is right?  Its sad but after all the theory i learned, I dont think Ill be able to read music notes as much as I did on my piano as I should with my guitar.  Im playing chords and tabs!! Its retarted for someone to do that much theory and stick with that lvl of readings :(           But yeah once I reached college I pretty much did guitar day and night on songs I really liked, you can say basically I self taught myself with regular noob books and the talent of music beat counting to get my beat/strums correct.  I really like to jam with my friends, its more fun with other people, but sometimes lonely songs require a bit of feeling which only loniless can put out for me :(           Bleh from the age 19 till now 21~ I pretty much played guitar on and off cuz of exams throughout college.  Dont expect much~ I know im not much at all *skill wise*  If you ask me to sight read something in piano sheets Ill do it right away, but guitar? forget it !  Ill get the beat down! thats for sure! haha~  But yeah YUI's songs really inspired me to go for something that wouldnt require force to play rather than just self interest/feelings.  dont know if this is a story, but definitely reality haha XD

Offline atheon

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 01:31:45 PM »
For me, I always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, anything will do. Somehow being able to play it can 'develop' the artistic side of me lol, plus I still cannot forget the fact that I almost failed my music exam at primary school, wanna prove to myself that I still can learn music even though my theory sucked. But then in our society, we have the mindset that learning music is something for rich people, because the lessons are expensive, not to mention the instrument itself already cost a fortune. In the end I started learning guitar when I was 18 years old, which was kinda late compare to you guys.

Why guitar? One day my brother bought an acoustic guitar (I think 3 years ago), Yamaha F-210 (YUI's Yamaha is F-310 =/ ). The main purpose he bought it was to impress girls lol. His room mates taught him to play it but after a while he was not interested at it anymore. And that guitar was 'dumped' at a corner for quite a long time until I picked it up. Since I always wanted to learn an instrument, I thought, why not guitar? Already got one, plus you can carry around, and somehow it looks 'easier' to learn compared with piano (my 2nd choice). Managed to persuade my mom to pay for the lesson fees, I got myself a teacher and from there, January 2006, I took my first step.

At first it was boring, I was not motivated at all, and easily discouraged since I use acoustic guitar which caused my fingers to hurt like hell, and my teacher always make me feel like the dumbest person on earth lol (now I started to appreciate his teachings even though I still hate him for cancelling classes at the last minute).

Then came YUI. She started out late as well (around 15-16), but see how far she gotten herself into now? Was deeply inspired by her determination and made me feel that anything is possible as long as you willing to put effort on it. Another reason is during National Service, seeing people's reaction to someone who can play instrument definately motivated me to practice more and able to show around  XD

Right now, I must 'touch' my guitar at least once a day, and becoming very critical with artist who claims that they can play guitar (that's the bad thing I suppose). I'm not an outgoing person so I kinda spent most of the time with it, make me feel less lonely LOL, and you guys  @ YUI Lover of course!!!

Sorry my story is kinda long though  :blush Whine like an old woman   :swt

Offline kyleoko

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 04:48:24 PM »
once upon a time, a little bossy chinese girl named 'nataliejwong' who came to visit my friend at my school. she always talked about guitars with my friend, and eventually we hung out. one day, she brought her guitar over to my college friend's place, and she played it like a professional. from that day on, i taught her how to play some basic drum beats + she teaches me the guitar. she is my guitar sensei *bows down* a good teacher, but sometimes she can be a bit bossy when i don't get the chord right...or if i wanted to eat a cookie during guitar practice. she'll throw guitar picks at me for slacking off...<- actually, i'm lying about that part. natalie is too nice to be bossy. gehgeh.

then nat intro me to YUI's music, and from that day on, she's my idol along wit avril lavigne who i love a lot too.

also, YUI inspired me to play the guitar too. she's so cute and such a great guitarist. so far, i'm learning how to play TOKYO on my friend's acoustic guitar. not quite there but i hope that i can play the full song before my bday which is on  jan 18. i just foudn out TOKYO was released on my bday, that is so wicked. yea, also it's only a day after YUI's rolling star release! i'm hoping to get my first guitar by the end of this month too.

so that is kyleoko's guitar story. hope you like it. ^-^

Offline Kcman123

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »
Quote from: "kyleoko"
once upon a time, a little bossy chinese girl named 'nataliejwong' who came to visit my friend at my school. she always talked about guitars with my friend, and eventually we hung out. one day, she brought her guitar over to my college friend's place, and she played it like a professional. from that day on, i taught her how to play some basic drum beats + she teaches me the guitar. she is my guitar sensei *bows down* a good teacher, but sometimes she can be a bit bossy when i don't get the chord right... na da, i am kidding. natalie is too nice to be bossy.

also, YUI inspired me to play the guitar too. she's so cute and such a great guitarist. so far, i'm learning how to play TOKYO on my friend's acoustic guitar. not quite there but i hope that i can play the full song before my bday which is on  jan 18. i just foudn out TOKYO was released on my bday, that is so wicked. yea, also it's only a day after YUI's rolling star release! i'm hoping to get my first guitar by the end of this month too.

so that is kyleoko's guitar story. hope you like it. ^-^
does she charge you? you lucky!

Offline Saustic

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 06:02:03 PM »
When my brother first got his acoustic guitar, my father used to play in front of us and he'd teach my brother the basic skills while I'd just sit back and enjoy them playing. This was when I was really small. I wasn't really interested in guitars back then, but I did learn a bit, so it was kinda an on and off thing for me.

I think I got serious when I entered college, seeing most of my roommates can play the guitar while I don't made me feel like I was left out, haha. So I started learning again, with the help of mostly the internet, of course my friends, and hah, Guitar Pro 5. Most of the songs I know how to play was because of that great software.

... YUI came along the way, which inspired me even more to learn guitar. *thumbs up* for YUI. :)