Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: it's happy line & tokyo  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Yue

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 08:44:42 AM »
@Natalie: LOL I think that I read too much, though I'm suppose to be practicing the guitar. But it's information to be shared :)         

[Edit]Ehh? Really? Hmmm... not sure. I'm looking at the Go!Go!Guitar one and it has ConG, it's in the intro part. Unless there is another music sheet that I haven't got.

@Aki: Well... I'm very music illiterature but reading stuff online does help and getting other music literate members to help on a few things is good. I guess it's ok, plus looking at the sheet at first is very scary since that you don't know stuff and it something that you would like to avoid but with whatever you read on certain things you can incorporated that knowledge into further learning. BTW sorry but it's a long read. (TT__TT )' Gomen.

So, on that strumming, there is a total of 9 movements in that strumming pattern. If you look at YUI's sturmming with the icons again, (down, down&up, down&up&down, down-down&up) as you can see and count there is 9. I'll help you on the practice strum, first it helps you stay in that pattern and get use to it. Hopefully you have that sheet printed out "It's happy line".

Ok, mark your strums on the intro strum and mark the downstrokes as 1 and the upstrokes as 2 as a key reference. With your guitar try this out, call out 1 and 2 of the strokes that you are doing as you strum. So, it's goes:

1        1       2      1      2      1         1      1     2
down, down&up, down&up&down, down-down&up
Just try this out so that you get use to the strum pattern. It takes time but it's helps. Once you done that next you count, again, but with the total of strums (9). So again, mark sheet again with numbers going up to 9.
   1        1       2      1     2      1         1      1     2
down, down&up, down&up&down, down-down&up
1          2      3       4      5      6       7       8       9
To change chord in the first bar, G (320003) to ConG (3X2010) <---- that's explained further. As you look at that sheet there is 6 movements with G and 3 movements on ConG, all there is to that is to count, again, with strum and change chords. It's a long process but it helps me.

*Breather with a cupper*

On to the ConG chord. Yep on the ConG chord (3X2010) is one with a muting technique. It's generally covering the string. How to mute is quite simple and very easy to do. First I'll teach you to mute first before playing the ConG chord, ok?

Here's how to mute (all) strings. Generally what you should get.

Place your left hand on the neck normally and cover the strings with your fingers (for right handers, for left handers do the opposite). Then lightly press all the strings, it doesn't matter where to place your hand, for time being this is to get a generalization of muting. Then strum, try and adjust your pressure on your left hand so that it doesn't produce a clear sound. Just a muffled sound. Usually it doesn't take that much effort to press but that's a mute. Once you got the hang of it, on to the ConG chord.

To do a ConG chord, place your fingers on (302010) first forget the X at the moment. So it's...

6/E|  M/Third finger on fret 3
5/A| leave blank
4/D| I/Second finger on fret 2
3/G| leave blank
2/B| P/Index finger on fret 1
1/E| leave blank
Pluck/pick all the 6 strings your strings to check that you are ok holding that position, this is just to make sure that you are getting comfortable with that position. Once you done that, now angle your M/third finger so that it just touches the 5th string and repeat the plucking. Hopefully when you pluck the 6th it's very clear, then on the 5th string it's muted/muffled.

That's how you mute a string really. :)          *deflates*

@Zheng: It's cool and welcome to the community :)          Changing chords are hard to do when you are a beginner. The only advice that I can say is change only 2 chords to start off with, change slowly strumming every four times and keep practicing. With the unclear sound it could be a few things like fingers aren't close to the fret or there's not enough pressure. Keep strumming and make thoses fingers bleed. :guitar

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 06:11:46 PM »
@nataliejwong : hmm, i guess that's a diff chord? haha but thanks anyway, i get to learn a new chord! heheh
@ Yue : thank you, i'm really grateful that u took the time to explain so much stuff to a newbie like me >.< i tried it with my guitar, i think i got the hang of the muting technique. now i kinda know what to strum and when to change chords, at least for the song it's happy line. all that's left is to practice! ehh, so u gotta play til yr fingers bleed? all i have is calluses on my fingers. maybe i lack practice  :unsure:

Offline Yue

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2007, 06:22:34 PM »
LOL... I'm a newbie too but I tend to read more than practice which is bad.

If you're still not sure, watch this dude here------> http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/Rhythm/R_01.html and click the Quicktime logo to watch the video. He's very informative to watch even though it's really short.

Strum and practice like you never played before! LOL Glad to help out :)

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 08:53:16 AM »
Hey, I decided to focus on Tokyo for now and try to master it step by step before I move on to anything else. And I got a question on this part

G       D          Am  C
Sumi nareta kono heya wo
Em      D         C
Dete yuku hi ga kita
G       D         Am C
Atarashii tabidachi ni
Em     D      C
mada tomadotteru

@ natalie
One thing I noticed was that this tab tells u to play C chord after the D, where in your video u play the Cadd9 instead. So I'm a bit confused. And also does it matter whether u play the G with the 5th string pressed down on the 3rd fret or not?

Offline nataliejwong

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 09:18:50 AM »
Zheng
YUI plays two different variations of the C chord in Tokyo. The C chord (Cmaj) after Am, is x32010, and the C chord  (Cadd9)  is x32033 should be played after the D chord.

G D Am Cmaj
Sumi nareta kono heya wo
Em D Cadd9
Dete yuku hi ga kita
G D Am Cmaj
Atarashii tabidachi ni
Em D Cadd9
mada tomadotteru

NOTE: The Cadd9 is used during the chorus, as well.

Watch this video > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma5Rh4vF6gU

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 11:00:54 AM »
Thx, and did see her play the Cadd9 in the video like u said hehe. I think I can play it almost fluently one half speed now :lol:  But still not sure how to play the G chord(if it matters at all).

Ok back to practise, fingers, aren't bleeding yet. I think I have 10 more minutes to go :punch

Offline nataliejwong

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 11:34:12 AM »
Zheng
G chord. Hm....

I use this one + I think YUI plays this too > http://www.christianguitar.org/chord/7
This way is also right too > http://www.christianguitar.org/chord/14

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2007, 02:55:52 AM »
Need help again  :lol:  I don't quite understand how the intro works:

[Intro]
   G   D   G  Cadd9
|--3---3---3---3------|
|--3---3---3---3------|
|--0---2---0---0------|
|--0---0---0---2------|
|--2---0---2---3------| (2x)
|--3---0---3----------|

C        D       Bm       Em
Nanika wo tebanashite soshite te ni ireru
C        D           (play intro G   D  G C)
Sonna kurikaeshi ka na?

Also is it right that u switch from C to D on the first up stroke (down, down, up, up, up&down) on playing this part?:

C        D        Em
Asa no HOOMU de denwa mo shitemita
     C      D              Em
Demo nanka chigau ki ga shita

C        D        Em
Furui GITAA wo hitotsu motte kita
     C        D        Em
Shashin wa zenbu oitekita

I'm having difficulties with 3 times up in a row  :P. Tried some other stroking patherns too but its hard to get the accents on the right strokes.

Offline Yue

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2007, 07:14:33 AM »
Quote from: "Zheng"
Need help again  :lol:  I don't quite understand how the intro works:

[Intro]
   G   D   G  Cadd9
|--3---3---3---3------|
|--3---3---3---3------|
|--0---2---0---0------|
|--0---0---0---2------|
|--2---0---2---3------| (2x)
|--3---0---3----------|
This is your chords. They are to indicate where to place your fingers on.

The six lines are your strings (across). EADGBE. Meaning:

E |--3---3---3---3------|
A |--3---3---3---3------|
D |--0---2---0---0------|
G |--0---0---0---2------|
B |--2---0---2---3------| (2x)
E |--3---0---3----------|

The numbers are the Fret numbers on where abouts on the board your fingers should be. (downwards)

So G is...

6th string - 3 fret
5th string - 3 fret
4th string - blank
3rd - blank
2nd - 2 fret
1st - 3 fret

The (2x) is to play  G   D   G  Cadd9 chords section twice. So it means  G   D   G  Cadd9 and again G   D   G  Cadd9 before you hit the verse.

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2007, 08:14:35 AM »
No, you misunderstood. I know how to read it, but I just don't know the strumming pathern for it. And btw, the intro isn't played at the beginning of the song(or maybe only in the live version) but in this part:

C D Bm Em
C D (play intro G D G C)
Sonna kurikaeshi ka na?

it tells you to play the intro.

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2007, 08:36:24 AM »
oops double posted

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2007, 10:28:54 AM »
Quote from: "Zheng"
No, you misunderstood. I know how to read it, but I just don't know the strumming pathern for it. And btw, the intro isn't played at the beginning of the song(or maybe only in the live version) but in this part:

C D Bm Em
C D (play intro G D G C)
Sonna kurikaeshi ka na?

As for G Dsus4 G Cadd9 (the intro) part... play twice for the real intro, but play only once after the chorus. i.e. after chorus -> Verse 2

Then for the strumming pattern, just keep listening to YUI's live video.. im sure you will get it. Try listen carefully, down strum is more pronounced, up strum is less, pay attention to the last strum on Cadd9  :guitar

Keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

Offline Yue

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »
My bad. I misread the question, I didn't sleep for nearly 24 hours. Picked up my mum. (TT__TT )

But after re-reading your question, I'm even more confused. I always thought that intro means intro (beginning of the song)... (~__~ )

Offline Minji

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2013, 05:24:13 PM »

C D Bm Em
C D (play intro G D G C)
Sonna kurikaeshi ka na?

the pattern is down, down(lightly), down, down&up