Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: it's happy line & tokyo  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Qinnie

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »
^ natalie~
u hav a very cute voice!! hehe...n thanks for the video..it really helps... :hug

^aki
really?hehe :lol:  well with all the guitar pros in this forum, u and i will get it in no time...they're so helpful :huhuhu  lov them so much...

Offline Yue

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 08:52:36 PM »
Natalie, I need help, onegai (TT__TT )... on Tokyo when you strum down, down, down&up, down. When do you change chords? I know... very noobish question of me. Got abit on the strumming but it's the timing with the words. Onegai m(_ _)m

Offline nataliejwong

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 12:19:43 AM »
Qinnie
:blush...Thanks. My voice sounds a bit weird in the videos because it was New Years Eve the night before, and I woke up a minute before I recorded these videos.

Yue
It's okay. Ask more questions! Hehe, hm, it should be 'down, down, down&up' switch to the next chord on the next 'down'. At certain parts of the song, she plays it slightly differently e.g.

Am......D........G..G/F......Em
Eki made mukau BASU no naka

At the 'G + G/F', use ONE down strum for each chord. And then play Em.

Am............D
Tomodachi ni MEERU shita

At this section of the song, play Am + D with the strum pattern TWICE. So, it should be 'Am' down, down, down&up + down, down, down&up.

Actually, maybe I'll make another video for these strumming patterns, it'll probably be easier to understand :)         

NOTE: Also, I found that if you hold your pick a bit loose, it might help you out with the down&up strums.

Offline Yue

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 03:19:02 AM »
Awww... you're the best. I have to note that down :D          Thank you for you help. :toast

Ah... I see, not (down, down, down&up, down) corrected (down, down, down&up) My stupid memory, lagged on the video, I guess that why I thought it was (...down&up, down). I better see it properly on the PC.  :damnpc

Hope it's not soo much trouble to make the video  :huhuhu I really hate asking alot.

----------------------
[Edit: Just realised that the original strum from Tokyo is down, down, down, down&up in one bar, or something.

If beginners, like me, are having trouble with the rhythum of the tune try this out.

When you strum, slowly, strum by counting. So when you strum count 1, 2, 3, 4 and a, 1, 2, 3, 4 and a,... etc. This is for the first strumming pattern. If you have itunes or an ipod, maybe some other MP3 player where you can change the "Equalizer" set it as "Acoustic" and you can practice along with the first strumming pattern, best to wear headphones than speakers (TT---TT ). I mean I could be very wrong but I think that I need second opinion or Natalie's opinion, since she knows more than me.

So... I think, with Natalie's help, in previous comment, on the change of chords... it's roughly. First line in the first verse, as an example.

G..........D................Am
Sumi nareta kono heya o
住み なれた この 部屋 を

G........................D.................................................Am...................
(1, 2, 3, 4 and a),(1, 2, 3, 4 and a, 1, 2, 3, 4 and a), (1, 2, 3, 4 and a)

Don't know if it's right but that's pretty much I'm hearing.

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 08:24:22 PM »
Yeah.. Yui songs have very unique strumming patterns and are very hard for beginners to grasp at first. Here's some tips on how to play them.

First and foremost, remember that most of Yui songs have barred chords in them. I know some of you people out there, the sight of a Bm or an alien chord like FmMaj7 scares you. Dont worry about it. Learning barred chords is a pain in the ass but I guarantee you that your hard work will pay off. Whenever you feel like giving up, always remind yourself that barred chords are one step ahead to playing advanced rhythm guitar.

The first song that had barred chords in it that I learnt, was goodbye days. I got the goodbye days tab off ultimate-guitar, and it was tabbed by natalie ( fantastic job natalie ! (: )

Now, you guys have to know that there is NO ever one perfect way to play a song. In guitar, you must improvise and use and experiment with different chords.

Alright, enough of my crap. So if you want to learn the strumming pattern of the song,

1) Familiarize yourself with the chords that you'll be playing in the song
2) Listen to the song over and over, so you know when the chord changes.
3) Play along with the song using downstrokes ( with a steady rhythm)
4) Then, when you're getting good, play along with the song using up down up down strokes.
5) By then, after listening to the song so many times, you should be able to grasp most of its strumming pattern. By then, you can go try its strumming pattern already.

Take note of your strumming rhythm. Most newbies get anxious when the chord changes and strum too quickly.

Have fun with strumming patterns !

Offline natchi

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »
thx 4 all d advice guys :)         
it helps a lot,,
im a newbie here too.... n my guitar's juz 2 days old :P         
inspired by YUI to learn d guitar tho...
n it's really hard since it produces sore fingertips...... :(         
lolxxx but like wat every1 says, practice makes perfects
huhuhu
n it's important to hav d 3P:- (patience, persistance n practice!!)
gambate dane!!!  :P

Offline Qinnie

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 09:09:17 PM »
^buzzyedwin
"Most newbies get anxious when the chord changes and strum too quickly." hehhe totally agree...coz im one of them..hahha..

^natalie
thanks for clearing the chord change time..hehehe...i tot i was down down 'switch' down down up for the 1st two chords in the first line..hahha gz my hearing was really off...i gz i hav to hav a full view of the guitar so can see when u all switch chords while strumming.. :lol:

Offline nataliejwong

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 03:16:16 AM »
HEYLOWS, guitar buddies!

I'm back with a few more videos. This time I uploaded it to 4shared.com, since it seems that some people couldn't download the videos that were uploaded to sendspace.com

My other videos are also on this page too. You can find my covers over at the Members Creation / Song Archive section.

This file contains videos on how to play the pre-chorus of TOKYO. There are 3 videos in the file (ZIP file). If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.
Here is the link > Click here!
Note: You might have to wait a few seconds, then the file will be available for download. It will show up in the middle of the web page.

Offline Yue

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 01:43:25 PM »
Thank You Natalie. I have already bookmark your link :wink LOL

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 08:47:49 PM »
thanks again for the videos  :)          oh, i just have 1 small question: according to your it's happy line video, the strumming pattern for each chord is down down up up up down, rite? haha hope i don't sound too stupid here >.<

Offline Yue

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007, 12:38:52 PM »
I think one strumming pattern = one bar.

If you look at the Go!Go!Guitar version *Note: you need to download this version to know what I'm on about. Look at the one with icons that looks like Π and ∨) That is a strumming pattern.

On the second row is part of the first line of the verse...

Choose either, Yui's strumming pattern = down, down&up, down&up&down, down-down&up <---I'll be using this one cos i'm still learning Natalie's strum.
Natalie's strumming pattern = down, down, down&up <---- This one's the easier one ;)         

Order of explain below is...
Chord and tab
Strumming pattern
Romaji version
Hiragana version

Example:
C chord (X32020)
|down, down&up, down&up&down, down-down&up|
|Tame-- ni-- ikite-- iru-- no?|
|ためーーにえーーきてーーいるーの?|
That line from the verse is one bar=one strumming pattern. So that means you play the just C chord in bar.

But further on the first verse, row three there are two chord changes in one bar
Em chord (022000) and F chord (133211) p-barre 1st fret, with i-2, m-3, a-3.
|Em-------F---------|Em... etc
|down, down&up, down&up&down, down-down&up|
|Yo wa samo--   --ita| - mi mo-... etc
|よ わ さもーー ーーいた| ー みもー。。。etc
On this part when you play sing that part in bold, play this in Em. If it's not in bold, change to F chords but continue sticking to the same strumming pattern. That means there's two chords in one strumming pattern.

Hope this helps abit. :swt It's hard to explain like this but it's what I know from reading music sheets online.

Oh... if you didn't know what I meant on the F chord finger placement
P = First finger
I = Index finger
M = Third finger
A = Little/Pinky finger

Offline nataliejwong

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
Yue
You're a great teacher! Good information / explanations too. And it's not crap, it's very useful and I'm sure many of the guitar newbies appreciate you taking the time to post. :thumbsup:

natsumi
n it's important to hav d 3P:- (patience, persistance n practice!!)
I'm going take note of that. Btw, is your name "Natalie" by any chance.. haha. Your username has 'nat-sumi' in it. Just wondering...

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2007, 06:51:39 PM »
woah, thanks, Yue! i actually understand yr explanation!  :lol:  (usually i have a very hard time trying to understand explanation in words) i guess the only prob left for me now is to figure how many times i should strum before changing chords (?) music sheets give me a headache >.<

oh yea, i noticed that in the beginning, the 2nd chord was called "C on G"; there's an "x" on the 5th line, is it muting? and how do u actually do that? i'm sorry if i asked too much  :unsure:          there's alot of things i don't know

Offline nataliejwong

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 07:35:45 AM »
Quote from: "aki"
oh yea, i noticed that in the beginning, the 2nd chord was called "C on G"; there's an "x" on the 5th line, is it muting? and how do u actually do that? i'm sorry if i asked too much

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 07:41:35 AM »
Thank a lot Natalie and Yue. I just bought my guitar a week ago and practiced some basic chords and techniques but couldn't get started with playing songs until recently. I'm still slow on chord switching and the sound is a bit unclear, but I think its getting somewhere now

ps natalie I liked your singing.  :P           :rolleyes: