Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: it's happy line & tokyo  (Read 3577 times)

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« on: December 24, 2006, 04:38:49 PM »
hie~ i'm a newbie here, as well as a newbie in guitar. yui's songs are really nice, so i thought that i might as well play her songs to learn guitar. even though i got the chords n everything for "it's happy line" and "tokyo", but i can't figure out the strumming pattern. can anyone help me pls? thanks!

Offline Qinnie

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 04:26:59 AM »
hehe im having the same problem...

well according to yui_abunai, the basic strumming pattern for tokyo is

verse: down down(lightly) down downup

i do hope it helps...
happy strumming :wink

dono about happy line... :D         

Offline nataliejwong

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 07:54:42 AM »
aki
Would you like me to do a video for 'Happy Line" strumming? I never played that particular song yet, so it'll be fun to try it out. Tokyo is a fun song to play, so I'll make a video on that too.  Yep, there's a lot more downstroke strumming in Tokyo as Qinnie posted.

:)

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 12:59:48 AM »
@Qinnie: emm okies, i'll try strumming that pattern. thanks!
@nataliejwong: wow, if you can do those videos i'm going to be very grateful! thank you~!! it's going to be a big help to a newbie like me. heheh

Offline Yue

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 06:05:36 AM »
For Tokyo it's 4xdown, 1xup. It's the only strumming pattern that is the same throughtout the song. By looking at it, it's pretty much the easy to learn, along side learning about 9 different chords. which is a bummer.  

For It's happy line there's 8 different chords to play and the first strum pattern goes

down, down&up, down&up&down, down, down&up  

second strum of It's happy line:

Down, down, down, down&up, down&up&down, down, down&up.

Offline EzakNoKaze

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 10:41:54 AM »
YES! I'm happy!
I'm able to play It's Happy Line now! (Except for F major bar chord XP)
I'm proud since I've only had my acoustic for 1 week. =)
Go YUI!

@Yue : Thank you for the 2nd strumming pattern.  :lol:

@nataliejwong : Good luck with your videos! They're useful  ;)         
And...Did you try Goodbye Days yet? O.o
I want to play that but...like I said, only been 1 week...Can't get bar chords  :huhuhu

Offline nataliejwong

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 02:46:59 PM »
Quote from: "aki"
@Qinnie: emm okies, i'll try strumming that pattern. thanks!
@nataliejwong: wow, if you can do those videos i'm going to be very grateful! thank you~!! it's going to be a big help to a newbie like me. heheh
I'll probably do the videos on Sunday (Toronto time) because I had work today + going to work tomorrow full day. Then I need to attend my nephew's bday party at night. I'll try to get the videos done on Sunday. Hope that's okay. Sorry about the delay :unsure:         

EzakNoKaze
You only picked up the guitar for less than a week, and you can play Happy Line? Wow. That's impressive, EzakNoKaze! Barre chords are a toughie. I still have trouble with them to this day. Hm, I made an instrumental version of Good-bye Days in the MEMBERS CREATION section. Go to Song Archive, and search in the (Electric Version) thread. Click here!. zuttodayo also made videos on how to do the proper strumming for Good-bye Days. Click here. Hope it helps you out!

Offline Qinnie

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 01:54:48 AM »
natalie~ u're a doll :huhuhu (happy tears)...we're so greatful...

^EzakNoKaze: wow thats great...u sure hav the talent then...im still attempting the songs...hehhe

^aki:ur welcome~!

Offline EzakNoKaze

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 02:58:13 AM »
@Qinnie: Thanks for the comment. But hey...I've been playing hardcore ever since I got my guitar...maybe that's why. I should rest my fingertips, they hurt  >.<
Just take your time, don't be crazy (like me...a newbie playing for 5-7hours everyday) or you'll end up hurting yourself (like me again...) XD
Good luck.

@nataliejwong: :P           I'm a fast learner. But the thing is...I didn't go through the basics yet. I should take a rest and go check them out afterwards. And thx for the links by the way.

Offline Qinnie

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 03:16:58 AM »
Quote from: "EzakNoKaze"
@Qinnie: Thanks for the comment. But hey...I've been playing hardcore ever since I got my guitar...maybe that's why. I should rest my fingertips, they hurt  >.<
Just take your time, don't be crazy (like me...a newbie playing for 5-7hours everyday) or you'll end up hurting yourself (like me again...) XD
Good luck.

@nataliejwong: :P           I'm a fast learner. But the thing is...I didn't go through the basics yet. I should take a rest and go check them out afterwards. And thx for the links by the way.
wow...no wonder u all are so good...i'm not sure how long was my longest practise yet...hahha...i hav a problem with wanting to get it done asap..(except for homework)hehhee... it owes amaze me how leonardo da vinci had the patience to paint monalisa for 3years...man..
but thanks for the advise n support...just wish i could get one song right then i'll feel better...hehhee :D

Offline nataliejwong

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 05:27:32 AM »
EzakNoKaze
5-7 hours? Haha, just like me. The first night I got my guitar, I played about 5 or 6 hours in my room from 10pm till 4am. We're both crazy! You can never get enough of the guitar, it's just so addictiveeee...hehhee. XD

Qinnie
Keep practicing, and you're become a professional at the guitar in no time! :guitar

aki
Ahhh, alright. Here are the videos. Once again, these strum patterns is by no means 100% identical to YUI's strumming. You can create your own strum pattern if you feel it fits better with the song, so it's really up to you.

1 LIFE - 2nd Ending (Strum + Picking)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4nakij
^kh7yusuke requested this one NOTE: it's not EXACTLY like YUI's picking, but this is a simple version of the picking pattern I use for the song

2 It's happy line - Chorus Pattern
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yofnzc
I had trouble figuring how to teach the verse, but I made a simple basic strum pattern for the chorus of It's Happy Line.

3 It's happy line - Instrumental (Verse + Chorus)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fh2pws
I don't know how to explain the verse strumming, so here's a video with only strumming verse + chorus together.

4 TOKYO - Basic Strumming Pattern w/ a bit of Natalie singing, haha
tuning: Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb
http://www.sendspace.com/file/31y8a5
WARNING: I sing in this song, but only for a few seconds. After that, you can uncover your ears. Haha, here's TOKYO.

5 Rolling Star - Basic Strumming Pattern (Verse + Chorus)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/50yomr
Video to learn the Rolling Star strumming (for acoustic guitars) since a few emailed me about it.
NOTE: The chord after the verse chords is F#m, not Fm.. sorry about that guys!

File format is AVI. You can view it in WMP, Quicktime OR Winamp.
If you can't download the file, you might have to wait a few minutes before the server works again. However, if you STILL can't download it, I'll upload the files to 4shared.com, just let me know.

I hope you enjoy the videos.

Hopefully, it helps you learn YUI's songs better, if not, then, at least I tried. Haha! :swt

Offline EzakNoKaze

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 07:48:53 AM »
@nataliejwong: YAY! more videos! =P
Don't mind your voice, it's okay. =)

Note: I just got the hang of this but...Minna! Every song has its speed. All you need to do is find it. (I can do it now because of I played DDR before, lol)
Try your hand at it. If it's too fast to get back to a downstroke then it has to be an upstroke. =P   To know if it's too fast or not, you need to follow the beat, that's why. XP

Edit: Hey guys! Has anyone tried this pattern in It's Happy Line?

stop strum at the 3rd string if you see a 3

--3------3------------------3-------3--------------------
down down down    up&down down down down&up
nani wo ---shin-----jite----------ike----------ba ii?

I'm trying it...it sounds the same as the single (I think...Maybe I should master the chords first)
Listen to the song, you'll know what I mean,  :P

Deleted User

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 01:20:57 AM »
@nataliejwong: woah, thanks alot, it's gonna be a great help!  :biggrin now all that's left is to dl this videos; the connection is bad this few days at the place i'm in rite now >.< haha i'm really grateful for yr time n efforts, hontoni arigato!

@Qinnie: haha i guess i'm like u? i like to take thing easy n do it slowly, so i usually just practice guitar everyday when i can find the time.

@EzakNoKaze: that's impressive, being able to play a song after only a week. u must've love guitar alot. hahah

Offline cooljojo

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 03:29:06 AM »
Thanks for these videos !  :thumbsup:

Offline nataliejwong

it's happy line & tokyo
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 03:52:32 AM »
IMPORTANT SIDENOTE:

4 TOKYO - Basic Strumming Pattern w/ a bit of Natalie singing, haha
--> tuning: Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb
http://www.sendspace.com/file/31y8a5
WARNING: I sing in this song, but only for a few seconds. After that, you can uncover your ears. Haha, here's TOKYO.

^YUI plays this song in tuning: Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb. I detuned my guitar to fit that tuning, so in some of the other videos, you might see me use a capo. (The capo is the white object clamped to my guitar neck, look below.)

Don't worry about it ^. For this TOKYO video, it will sound different because of the different tuning. I should have put the capo on, but I forgot. Sorry guys!

But if you have a tuner, you can detune your guitar to Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb setting.