Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nobody Knows (me)  (Read 1043 times)

Offline MimaKinomoto

Nobody Knows (me)
« on: November 27, 2014, 06:06:25 PM »
So you're probably thinking "who's that stranger that came out of nowhere and writes a lot? They didn't even introduce themselves! How rude!!". Yes. I write a lot.

...and I actually already have an introduction topic, but it was so long ago that I'm 100% sure nobody knows who I am. (pun intended) But DON'T LOOK FOR IT. I was young and foolish, my friends. Young and foolish.
No one from back then seems to be here anymore, and I was never such an active member anyway. Surprisingly, I'm a hard forumer - I love forums! I've been in a lot of them, and I currently take care of one (asian music themed). Still, each forum has its own "atmosphere" and I never got used to YUI-Lover's. That was partially my fault: I got in when we didn't have many members and then I kind of stopped visiting it for some time. When I came back, the forum was filled with new people, I only knew the ones from staff and it had a whole new "atmosphere"... one that I could never get used to, so I'd only read and post when I found it necessary (which was rare). I tried being active some times after that, too, but I never could.

So, this is how it was: My favorite band was -and is- Do As Infinity. I'm also a member of DAIforum, and I had recently found out about YUI when I saw someone's signature about a forum that had just been started. Apparently, she was one of the mods. So I clicked the link, stalked it for some time, and then contacted said DAIforumer through PM, to know more about the forum. Yes, such a troublesome kid I was. She invited me over and only then I registered, back in 2005 (but it felt like 2006!). I've been stalking you guys this whole time. Hi. Nice to meet you.

I write a lot.

You can call me Mima. Everyone calls me that. I still love anime, manga, books and gaming, though I'm 25. Yes, I'm old. Not that anything has anything to do with my age anyway! And I'm from Brazil.
I'm a graphic designer and I love drawing by hand too. I really like languages. I love music.
I listen to A LOT of japanese music... some really weird stuff too. Really. You wouldn't like it.

I think this is it... introductions suck. Is there anything you want to know?

Offline demon2

Re: Nobody Knows (me)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:09:33 AM »
Hi Mima, welcome to YUI-Lover Forums. You can write really well (even better than me as I grew up in Canada lol). I was like damn. Also, the title for some reason reminded me of the song by Rie Fu "Life Is Like A Boat."

Nobody knows who I really am
I never felt this empty before
And if I ever need someone to come along
Who's gonna comfort me and keep me strong

One beautiful song. Anyways, be active and have fun while you at it. See ya around!!!!!!

Offline demon2

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 07:11:50 AM »

Offline damn

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:16:39 AM »
I peeped on your profile...couldn't find your introduction post...might have been lost

Damn that's a huge list of music you listen there...it's not strange though
There's no bands like Citrus,DOOM,Cibo Matto,Deavid Soul,Idol Taxi etc.(aside from Cibo Matto which is a Japanese Duo formed in the USA these others are pretty obscure underground japanese acts) in there

Offline gotchi

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 11:05:03 AM »
Hi Mima!

Welp...welcome back ^__^ Hey Do As Infinity was the best back in those days! That was actually my first favorite Japanese band! Haha yea I think I was a lurker until I officially joined in 2008 too. I remember the days when we had Brad, Snake, natalie, bluecat and omg so many others but it's been so long!

I'm glad to see you around. I just added you via last.fm too. And you're not the oldest don't worry xD. Where are you from?

Offline MimaKinomoto

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 11:29:22 AM »
@demon2 I know that song, but I actually had something else in mind... haha
Thanks.

@damn That's good to know! It wasn't lost, because I was able to find it myself. But I'm glad to know it won't be as easy. lol
The main ones aren't weird at all... in fact, my favorite band of all time is really mainstream and famous. But I have that profile since 2006 and it's terribly outdated, so very few things make it to that main list. Specially since I used to listen to a lot more music then (I had more free time ._.). But indeed you're right, I'm not very fond of those. haha
I don't really care about the band being known or not, I just end up listening to a lot of things that most people don't know, and often find strange. But they don't get to the point of being obscure, they're just plain weird. lol
Thing is: I love music, so I'm always finding new bands and listening to new stuff. But I can never stop listening to my favorites, of course. This is why Do As Infinity's scrobbles are......well, like that. :disappointed_relieved:

@gotchi: Thanks! ^^ They were, weren't day? I miss those golden times... ç_ç
They were my first favorite japanese band too.
I think I remember that Brad guy! But I barely remember anyone from them... there was AditZ, Shine*, EndToInfinity(I guess?), flamecaster... yeah, it's been too long.
I'm from the outer space! No, I'm from Brazil!!

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 06:53:40 PM »
Hi mima fellow oldie. Welcome back! I've been lurking here for a long time too. The forum was tiny back then. Aditz was the most active, I loved Gin and bluecat and was in awe of their japanese prowess. I remember orange toast or toaster because their name was do weird and had a pic of an orange toaster xD.

Offline neoreturn

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
Hi, welcome back?
I came back here in mid 2012 after .... 4-5years of pure absence XD.
You are one of the oldest registered member still active i guess. But surely not the oldest in real life  :smile:
there is no age limit for passion.

The atmosphere in YL is really unique as far as I know compared to other forum I used to go ( 5-6 years ago XD ). It's the only forum I missed so much so i came back, and the only forum I browse as much as i can.

I'm glad to meet you, old buddy.

Offline damn

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 02:22:06 PM »
The main ones aren't weird at all
Well I meant all those in your list in general...a lot of them are commercial artists from Japan which aren't that weird(what's more weird to me is you listening to so much music...how did you find the time lol?...like did you ever watch TV? Or do something other than listen to music? lol)

Those bands I mentioned on the other hand are super obscure
Most of them I've found through Video Game Soundtracks

Some video games licensed Deavid Soul's(Underground Japanese House Duo)
Cibo Matto's(Semi-Mainstream 90s Japanese-American Pop Band that few people know about) and
Idol Taxi's(Late 90s Japanese Underground House Group) Music

Except for DOOM which I found through wikipedia when I was reading about Metal Music and Citrus which I accidentally found in this article about the most Underappreciated Japanese Albums of the 2000s http://travel.cnn.com/tokyo/play/6-most-underrated-japanese-albums-00s-702098

In fact it's pretty hard/impossible to get phsyical copies of these artists(minus Cibo Matto who are a semi-mainstream group)
So I've only heard their stuff in youtube xD

I'll post some of them here...give them a listen if you want :P

Citrus' Wispy no Mercy EP from 2000 is on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymy_pHAlmhc

Deavid Soul has most of it's stuff in youtube thank god...like this track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krOhh5Ysd_0

Cibo Matto is also on youtube but that's not surprising
These are 2 of my favorite songs from them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEpZmUxH24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwUcJ3f43w

Idol Taxi has only one song in youtube(which is from the Video Game Jet Set Radio) :(...I found out they had 2 albums in Rateyourmusic.com but they're probably out of print by now/or hard to get :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK_fVsph2PE

Doom has a decent amount of them in youtube(and also has some shit quality videos of Live Performances)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWAUnTmNIU0

What can I say? I like me some obscure stuff sometimes :D

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:31:49 PM by damn »

Offline MimaKinomoto

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 03:55:23 PM »
@pandas who read this scare me: I just wanna say that I really like your username. Absolutely no sarcasm here! I've seen you around some times and it always managed to entertain me, 'cause I always get this weird image in my mind... scary pandas in front of a computer, reading that. XD Thanks.

@neoreturn Thank you! So you probably know what I'm going through, huh? I'm trying to get back and become more active, but I didn't want to create an introduction topic before knowing if it actually would work! I still don't know that, of course, but I feel like participating more, which is a good sign, I think! Y-L does have an unique atmosphere, but I believe all forums do. Still, even that has been changing along the years... it always kind of changes a bit, right? New members coming, old members disappearing... but the only forum that I actually feel such a strong connection with is still the one I take care of. I've made great friends there and so many things happened... but yeah, I've always been coming here, even if not posting so much, so it feels kind of familiar still. =)

how did you find the time lol?...like did you ever watch TV? Or do something other than listen to music? lol)
It's a simple answer: 8 years. And it was high school back then, I had pleeenty of time. I'd listen to music all the time.

But anyway, I see you still didn't get what I mean. xD
I don't mean obscure artists, it's not a matter of them being famous or not - I don't care about that.
I mentioned the "weird stuff" because some are a lot different from YUI, for example, and they're things most YUI fans would indeed find weird. And this is a YUI forum. lol
But see, it's not about being obscure. The best example that comes to me now is probably Ling tosite Sigure. I also found them really weird at first, and I never thought I'd like them... but they grew on me and now I really like them!
It's a good example because they used to be unknown and weirder, but they have become major and famous, and yet... a lot of people still find them really weird. Not because they're famous or not, but because of how their music sounds in general, you know?
They're not obscure, just not the usual mainstream j-pop/j-rock, so it sounds "weird" to most people... But anyway, I'm not trying to compete on that xD
I didn't know any of the artists you mentioned, but the music didn't sound particularly weird to my ears... Just... unknown. And sorta... boring? :disappointed_relieved: No offense, I guess it's just not the kind of music I like listening to afterall... :sweat_smile:

Anyway, thanks everyone! I'm gonna try being more active from now on, so I hope we can get to know each other better. :smiley:

Offline damn

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 12:45:41 AM »
how did you find the time lol?...like did you ever watch TV? Or do something other than listen to music? lol)
It's a simple answer: 8 years. And it was high school back then, I had pleeenty of time. I'd listen to music all the time.

I don't mean obscure artists, it's not a matter of them being famous or not - I don't care about that.
I mentioned the "weird stuff" because some are a lot different from YUI, for example, and they're things most YUI fans would indeed find weird. And this is a YUI forum. lol
But see, it's not about being obscure. The best example that comes to me now is probably Ling tosite Sigure. I also found them really weird at first, and I never thought I'd like them... but they grew on me and now I really like them!
It's a good example because they used to be unknown and weirder, but they have become major and famous, and yet... a lot of people still find them really weird. Not because they're famous or not, but because of how their music sounds in general, you know?
They're not obscure, just not the usual mainstream j-pop/j-rock, so it sounds "weird" to most people... But anyway, I'm not trying to compete on that xD
I didn't know any of the artists you mentioned, but the music didn't sound particularly weird to my ears... Just... unknown. And sorta... boring? :disappointed_relieved: No offense, I guess it's just not the kind of music I like listening to afterall... :sweat_smile:

Anyway, thanks everyone! I'm gonna try being more active from now on, so I hope we can get to know each other better. :smiley:
Oh well in that case...Japanese Music in general can be pretty weird
Like if I would show anyone Japanese Music in my country they would probably say something like "You really listen to this Chinese crap" xD

Really? Well try out their some of their other stuff in the related videos or something...they have some great stuff(not all of it is great of course cuz they do have some crap stuff)
Although I'd still say Idol Taxi's O.K House and Citrus' Wispy no Mercy EP especially are pretty weird/unusual
But I posted some of the more "normal" stuff for Cibo Matto and Deavid Soul

Althought it might of course be a matter of taste I suppose...cuz the few songs I've heard of Do as Infinity by accident years and years ago I did not like and thought the same as you...no offense lol  :sweat_smile:

As for straight out weird music...I would say
Beef Jerky by Cibo Matto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76QH2m1HrNY
Song is pretty trippy!! This is the only time I've heard a song have lyrics like "A horse's ass is better than yours" lol  :laughing:

Or of course the...legendary noise album...Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed...which is pretty much the biggest troll album ever xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYtzNl48F60
Srsly...if you want to troll someone...just recommend them this album xD
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:09:16 AM by damn »

Offline MimaKinomoto

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 06:14:06 AM »

Oh well in that case...Japanese Music in general can be pretty weird
Like if I would show anyone Japanese Music in my country they would probably say something like "You really listen to this Chinese crap" xD
That's just because people are stupid and close-minded and can't easily accept something that's not sung in their own language. Or english (if that's not their mother tongue). To most people, asian languages are just weird in general... The music itself is not weird though, especially if you consider mainstream artists. :P

But yes, I hate noise in general. (But I love RUIDO! :D) Of course it depends, but... NUMBER GIRL? Never listening to it again!
I do think it's a matter of taste in the end, each person views music a different way... but that's all right. :D

Offline Rolling Rain

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »
Welcome back!!!
I guess all of us here r fans of DAI-there are no longer any bands like it in Japan
You have been member from 2005?this shows that our love for YUI will never die!!

Even I was a silent lurker of the forum for 2-3 years before joining!!!

Offline MimaKinomoto

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 07:55:07 AM »
Welcome back!!!
I guess all of us here r fans of DAI-there are no longer any bands like it in Japan
You have been member from 2005?this shows that our love for YUI will never die!!

Even I was a silent lurker of the forum for 2-3 years before joining!!!

Thank you, Rolling Rain. Are we? I don't know that many DAI fans nowadays, unfortunately... but yeah, most DAI-fans liked YUI back then, there were many Amano Tsukiko fans among those too. Good times...