Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: natalie Album Comentary  (Read 567 times)

Offline Kikino!

natalie Album Comentary
« on: November 21, 2014, 03:53:26 PM »
http://natalie.mu/music/pp/flowerflower

the important segment was kindly translated by spring-san

Since the singer song writer "yui", who was popular in the J-POP scene is one of the members, it cannot be helped but to compare them with her previous works.  Indeed, there are some songs that are reminiscent of her period as solo singer.  But, there are tow points that are definitely different from her previous works.  One is "definitely band-focused sound" and the other is "feeling of groove which can only be produced because they are comrades who eat from the same kettle"… The characteristics of the relationship that has been building up since they formed one year ago, the feeling of a band with its own personality, etc. are firmly expressed as a shape.  The late 90's, to say moreover, the soundscape like UK rock after "OK computer", the 3rd album of Radiohead, and the popularity which is characteristic of 00's J-POP.  These were cooked by the "sound chefs" led by yui and the music was perfected "which seems to resemble something, but actually does not resemble anything.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:10:49 PM by Kikino! »

Offline damn

Re: natalie Album Comentary
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:10:05 AM »
Hmmm this needs either some heavy editing or a re-translation...I can't understand anything

Offline MimaKinomoto

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 02:19:19 AM »
Ah, I saw that from natalie's twitter!
I'm not fluent in japanese, so I'm not confindent when it comes to a direct translations... but I managed to grasp the overall meaning of the review and it's interesting indeed! And a lot more detailed than the other ones... Actually, it goes a lot deeper than those.

It said something about how they've mentioned "the round thing" during that tour last year and that nothing was heard about it a long time after that, since they've kinda stopped activities... and that a year has gone by since that announcement was made and the album's actual release.
It also said the album's opening (first track, Negai) was a tune with an easy rhythm, and it would give the impression that her singing voice would gradually get into the listener's ears and heart... and I'm not sure if I fully understood the next line, but... I think it said something about how he thought the song didn't exactly sound like the band's chosen style, and still, that kind of melody was something they definitely wanted to use as the opening song... or something like that. I'm really not sure, that whole line confused me from there on...

And then, that part that was already translated ^.
I thought it was interesting how he sort of compared the music to food and the band to chefs... XD
He said that the next two tracks, Kami-sama and Kuuki, presented complex arrangements and emotional singing, raising the album's temperature. He also said the whole album kept building up that impression and that heat, and that it always managed keep him focused on listening. Then he talked about the last two songs, while "Tsuki" (something they've released long ago) was fitting song for ending the album, "Bye Bye" was one that managed to reach that heat's highest point.
His first listen to the (aprox.) 70 minutes long album went smoothly from start to end. There are many new discoveries about that past "yui" that everyone knows... and that if one had listened to that debut album without knowing her from beore, they'd probably have that joy of discovering an interesting new band.

When he saw last year's performance on Inko no Mure, he had already understood something completely new had been started there. Then he said: At the same time, I'm anxious to see how that "new something" is gonna be received in the current j-pop and j-rock scene. But honestly, it's a silly fear. Or rather, if I were to put that some other way... I'd make people think like "that kind thing doesn't matter, I just want to purely enjoy the sound that's in front of my eyes".

He finished it saying that with 2014 about to end in a month, he's glad to have come across this album (that has such great expectations surrounding it).

Then there's the P.S. in which he says that while yui's expressive power as a singer has definitely improved, he's eager to see yui's evolution as a guitarrist too.

---

....that's about it.
I had to go back and check the interview again... but still, I don't seem to be able to do a full translation, sorry. Yappa, putting things into words is a lot harder than understanding them.... =_=;
But anyway, that was a VERY interesting review, it's getting harder and harder to wait for the release... man, I missed being so anxious about something yui is about to release!! This is a great feeling.

On another note... I found that guy's last.fm account by accident, and he's already listened to the full album 3 times last week... he must have really liked it, 'cause he listens to TOO MANY THINGS. But that's to be expected, considering his job. lol
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:21:22 AM by MimaKinomoto »

Offline Kikino!

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 12:50:44 PM »
Thanks a lot for that :good