Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: smartphones  (Read 1489 times)

Offline gotchi

smartphones
« on: August 19, 2012, 03:05:41 AM »
So for those whom I've met before, they probably know that I still use an old sony ericsson phone ...I've had it since Winter 2005...and I've been doing okay since I got an iPod Touch with me ...

But I think it's time for me to start looking into the smartphone market and eye a few phones out!

It does seem like the new iPhone 5 is going to be unveiled by Apple next month so I'll be keeping my eye on that (I do have a couple of Apple products at home: apple tv, macbook pro, ipod/ipod touch) so compatibility with systems I already have/use...the iPhone would probably be one of my top choices.

However! I do think some Android phones have quite a number of pros to them.

Anyway! Just thought I'd start a convo about this and get some thoughts from others on upcoming smartphones or what's currently in the market...

Perhaps even share the pros and cons of their current smartphones and suggestions for me?

What resources/sites you guys use when looking for a smartphone?

My price range...well, if i'm willing to buy an iPhone then...yeah you get the idea....

:good

Offline demon2

smartphones
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
big fan of Android.

u ask why?
Because iOS sucks.

watch these youtube videos, and it will change ur mind about iOS forever. one of the best comparing videos I have ever watched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw

also, I got a Samsung Nexus. I might upgrade to the S3 or might not. still deciding.  :rolleye
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 12:51:17 PM by demon2 »

Offline bleach86

smartphones
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »
yea i had an old phone before as well for a long time and now i have an iphone i cant live without it!

i have an iPhone and nexus 7 tablet. I like them both, iOS is good and since u have all the apple products its good to integrate icloud together and iPhone 5 is coming out too ... the 3D maps on ios6 look surreal check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrl14SrhaUM . Also having played around with android, I really like the new os Jelly bean, its more faster and smoother than previous androids, if your thinking of getting an android I would get at least Ice cream sandwich or if possible Jelly bean mobile. I guess the advantage android has over iPhone is that you have more choices of phones to choose from, and IMO android is more customisable, so if you like to tinker with how the phone looks or works I would def recommend android over iphone. ATM i like the samsung galaxy s 3 and HTC one x.

I used to be Apple fan boy lol but I like them both, I can recommend some good review sites.

The Verge

The Verge Youtube Channel

Soldier Knows Best Youtuber

hope this helps let us know what you decide!!  :hee

Offline paku

smartphones
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:04:05 AM »
I'm using an Android phone (HTC One X) since March and I'm really happy with it. Before I used an old Windows Mobile device.
I really like the ability to customize my phone the way I like, using widgets, different icons for apps, etc. I also like how easy it is to side-load apps, install different keyboards (Japanese keyboard anyone? :3 ) and so many the free apps which cost some money on iOS. (and if you don't want to pay for them on Android... you might already know how easy it is... :p)
I don't own an iOS device, so I can't really compare them. But what I do know is, that I hate iTunes. XD But since you are using a few Apple products, you might be already using it. On Android you can sync your stuff with many different programs or don't use a program at all. Just drag and drop.

I'm not touching this part of Android yet, but if you want to get rid of the ads everywhere or browse in markets of different countries to install apps with a region lock*, you can root your device. You'll lose your warranty if you do that (not sure if that's the case on the Nexus devices though), that's why I didn't try that out.
//* If apps have a region lock, you still can install them by downloading the .apk from somewhere. That's how I installed YUI's app. ^^

A lot of people complain about how you are not able to change the battery on an iPhone or the limited storage. I was like that, too. But since I'm using my One X, I changed my mind a bit. Yes, it's nice to be able to change your battery or change the SD card, but honestly... I never did that on my phones before. My One X has 32 GB of storage (well, I can use about 25 GB of that). I've got about 400 songs in lossless .flac, quite a few pictures and some apps on my phone. I still have 10 GB left + some GB on Dropbox. That's more than enough in my opinion.

The one thing I hate about Android is the fragmentation. If you don't have a Nexus device, you will have to wait a looooong time for your updates. I just received the 4.0.4 update on my phone a few days ago and this version was out for quite a while (March 2012?). I don't even want to know how long I have to wait for Jelly Bean. Sure, you can install custom roms, but then again -> warranty (+ bugs).

When looking for a smartphone, I sometimes use pocketnow.com and YouTube.
I also recommend watching the videos demon2 posted. They show some of the advantages of Android over iOS.

Offline Hamza

smartphones
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:59:45 AM »
this is off topic but, I bought a Nokia lumia 800 it runs on windows 7 mango, its a nice phone I like it but, the Nokia market place is reallyy small compared to apple and android. Also it  sucks that nokia business are going downhill. but overall the phone suites me perfectly :)

Offline gotchi

smartphones
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
thanks for the input so far you guys!

Yeah I'm really up for either iOS or Android and it's true...it'll come down to if I wanna tinker around a lot or not....which is what my friend decided to go with the iPhone... .It'll be really awesome synching things with iCloud and Apple TV and whatnot...

However, i really am impressed by the new sony phones cos bravia screen quality is so awesome

Will check out those links bleach86 =)

Yeah speaking about Nokia...yea my friend got let off cos they shut down the offices here where I live...everyone was laid off... =/

Looking forward to hearing more from others and why they chose the phones/devices they have !

Offline Paramore

smartphones
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:06:40 PM »
in comparison to it's UI what I like about the Android OS is the Homescreen, or the desktop like screen where you can put and customize widgets, unlike the iOS that has none (unlocking the fone leads you to it's menu springboard)

and for the technical part Android is more versatile, meaning you could do any tweaks on the software, they offer CustomRoms or should we say custom OS which makes your fone perform even better, and so there are lots of free aps on the android market, alot of developers.

should you go for the android fone, i advice you to go buy the mid range line up (a fone that has a dual core cpu, atleast 512mb or 1gb of ram) coz we all know today, the pinnacle are the quad cpu's well atleast should i say you're dual core cpu fone is still future proof. and also can run some heavy or demanding app smoothly

you see the fone for the android market is vast it has the entry level fone, mid range and high end fone, the better the fone specs the best of course. unlike the iOS that has only one, it's high end of course the iPhone. so atleast people get to experience the android OS even if they are short on budget. how cool is that? i mean a $100 for a basic android fone, you can't call it dumb nor smarter but the basic is just smart already!

Offline GC.

smartphones
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Yup like most people said it depends on what you prefer, apple with its simple and user friendly interface or android with its slightly complex but customizable interface. I generally prefer android because it's less of a hassle. I don't care what phone you get as long as I can whatsapp you LOL
Using HTC legend + cyanogenmod = works like a charm

"昨日を愛せるように今日を生きよう 明日も同じ気持ちでいたいから。"
"In order to love yesterday, let's live today without regrets. I want to live tomorrow with the same feeling as well."

Offline CYBORG

smartphones
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:25:13 AM »
is a coincidence, this topic here.
In this week my cellular phone stopped function.
And I  could not post messages about the new YUI video on previous days.
I spent two days walking in two big big shopping centers of my city, to buy a new cellular phone.
And currently  do not bought yet.

I do not became  cheerful to buy a new one because I like my notebook that has screen of 15 inches and
is very good. 2 gigas of ram memory also.
Then I want buy the cheapest possible cellular phone.
Oh!! Really I like much notebooks, not cellular phones.

The bad is that I spent two days out of home just when YUI release a new video, and I  could not post messages about it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:30:08 AM by CYBORG »
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zerg

Offline CYBORG

smartphones
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:00:29 PM »
Well, then I will tell what happened.
I spent three days walking on three big shopping centers, was a stressful thing.
I also found stressed sellers, nervous, they wanted sell much to me. I already knew previously that could
 meet this kind of person because I live in a multiracial city, this makes the persons nervous.

Then I was searching the cheapest cell phone to buy, and I accomplish my goal.
I am sending the photos of it.
This is cheapest cell phone I found in my city, has cost only 50 dollars.  :clap   :lol:
The photos.

Here my new  cell phone still in the box.

It dismounted,  without the battery.

Here it ready to use.

I found is a good   cell phone. :D
Already tested it, and functions very well.
It has color screen.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 09:09:43 PM by CYBORG »

Zerg

Offline br4d137

smartphones
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 03:40:13 AM »
wow cyborg thats old school man. but still has good functions. u can probably throw that against the wall and the wall would break lol.

currently im using the galaxy note... thinking of switching to the note 2 when it comes out... and down from price..honestly just for the .02 larger screen 2 extra cores... 100% more ram and LTE.... but yeah.. i love android and probably staying on it unless it really craps out.... or symbian comes out with a crazy awesome OS hah.. doubtfully though..

but i dont think i can live without a smart phone... its become an extension of myself... i dont think i can live a day without being connected to the internet... kinda sad to say... but yeah... i got my last phone stolen, a dell streak, and i went back to my old school nokia.... OMG... yeah.... used that for 2 days and went on ebay to by the cheap smart phone with android i could get.... found an unlocked motorola blur for $130... it runs 2.3 but thats good enough... i used that for a few month and got the note... love the note... crazy about huge phone haha... but i dont think i can use any phone larger then 5.5 inch screens.... its just too much haha.... i can barely type with 1 hand.

but yeah.. moral of the story... get smart phones... stay addicted to the internet :P

but yeah... i dont think i can

Offline CYBORG

smartphones
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 02:03:07 AM »
I also like much surf the internet, but i  prefer to use the notebook, it has decent and big keyboard.

But i think the smartphone has a advantage.   :lol:
You can show it to the friends and they will know you bought a expensive cell phone.

Zerg

Offline Mysterious Guy

smartphones
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 01:44:46 PM »
Ok, so just to let you guys know, I am quite a anti-Apple person so this response is gonna be biased FOR SURE. Now to the point of this response, I believe that it'd be a better idea to get an Android rather than a iPhone for several reasons. Firstly, my experience and knowledge of Apple has led me to conclude that Apple is very inconsistant with product quality and that many of their products are really sloppily put together. An example of this is when I got  a 2008 white MacBook, I examined it several days after receiving it and noticed that several of the screws on the outside were put in at odd angles and one of the screws kept falling out even when I screwed it back in. I also noticed that the interior of the computer was actually quite dirty for no apparent reason. Another thing about that Mac is that at the end of the second year, the battery of the MacBook began to fail, which is one year earlier than when it is supposed to become dysfunctional. A second incident with Apple products is when someone I knew got an iPod and the battery turned out to be defective. That person got a SECOND iPod and the battery of that iPod was also defective. A third incident is that both me and my brother have an iTouch and they are getting quite laggy even when they are not nearly full. Thus, I believe that Apple products have inconsistant product quality. On the other hand, my dad and one of my cousins have Androids and they function perfectly fine as far as I know.

Conclusion: Choose ANDROID.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:46:19 PM by Mysterious Guy »

Offline cornycopia

smartphones
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 11:38:43 PM »
I'm not sure how well I can answer this question, since I might be a bit biased haha.

First off, my history with smartphones. The first "smartphone" in my family was my mom's iphone 3gs (she got it earlier this year, haha). It was amazing, since we never really had experiences with those types of phones.

I then started work last may, and my first purchase was supposed to be an iphone 4s, and I spent lots and lots of time researching about it, but over time saw that it was quite expensive. I then spotted the samsung galaxy s3 on my carrier's website, and got intrigued. I did a lot more research and found out that it was the newest flagship phone of samsung, and that its specs were so much better than the iphone 4s's.

I got my  s3 last june 12, and I've loved it ever since. I'm kinda biased towards android now, because when I compare my phone with my mom's, I'm kind of irritated whenever I have to use hers because of the lack of the "menu" and "back" buttons on the iPhone. There are also apps that are free on Android, but are paid on the iOS. Like the others have already said, there are a lot of ways to customize your Android phone, (i.e. Launchers, rooting + ROMs, though I haven't rooted mine yet), and they're generally less expensive than the iPhone. (I think the S3 and One X are both cheaper than the 4S (or not?)) Though a negative point for Android apps would be that there are a lot of sub-par apps, as well as apps that might not be optimized for the phone you're using, as opposed to App Store apps since they're all optimized for the iPhone/iTouch only, as compared to hundreds/thousands of different Android phones.

It doesn't help that Apple's being quite uhh, irritating because of the ongoing patent wars/lawsuits etc it's waging against its competitors -.-, but that's just me. haha

Oh well, in your case I guess the "ecosystem" you have with Apple would make the new iPhone the better choice :) Though again, there are pluses for Android as well.

Last one, I think the Windows Phone might be worth looking at? Since there are going to be new releases in the coming month or so, so you might want to wait for those :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this haha :)