Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which name should I NOT name my son?  (Read 972 times)

Offline xerith

Which name should I NOT name my son?
« on: January 15, 2012, 01:28:34 AM »
Hi guys,

Totally random again... but RL calls for me to think of an English name for my son who is going to be here in less than two weeks time.

Since I don't have any religion and I don't like to use common names, so I've been just randomly bunching together letters to form names but need you help to eliminate those that are a definite "NO!". Since I don't want my son to end up being laughed at growing up, this is important to me, so I value any comments (especially if the name has strange/negative connotations or sounds like something weird in your native language, would appreciate it if you could tell me)

The options are (alphabetical order):
  • Akyn
  • Avant
  • Korva
  • Soras
  • Tallac

I'm still trying to think of some more since my wife don't really like those and worry about it being difficult to pronounce... I'm not good at being objective since I already know how I would pronounce each one...

[Dun worry, I'll still decide myself, but it is just to gather some opinions so that I don't miss out some angle that would make the name like a joke]

Thank you all in advance!

Offline trekkie

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 01:58:36 AM »
Wow, congragulations!

For the names, I'm partial to Avant. Somehow it seems in my opinion better than the others.

If I may give a suggestion on names, a common name might be unique if it's written or pronounced in a different way. For example, Brian can be spelled as Bryan or Brien as well.

I was born of a difficult last name to pronounce (at least in the States), and having a hard to pronounce last name is definitely annoying. I personally wouldn't choose anything with a "y", unless it's a well-known name (Ally, etc.).

Just my 2 cents, and once again, congragulations!

Offline NrXIII

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:45:11 AM »
Your creativity in finding new names is pretty impressive (in a good way)!

As for the name Avant I'm not sure if this matters to you but the auto brand Audi calls every station wagon Avant too.
For example the Audi A4 Avant:
Spoiler for Hiden:

If you would live in an european country espacially Germany Avant's not the best choice.
Nevertheless in terms of phonetic it sounds best among them all.
This is just a suggestion.

Congratulations to you as well!

Offline dso

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:00:30 AM »
Somehow I like Akyn a lot!

Offline /\/\r.x

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 03:17:43 AM »
Maybe try to choose a name that will be easier for everybody to pronounce ? No offense , Since I have a that people usually mispronounce and it gets really annoying. Try finding a name that means something to you two but that will be easy for other people to pronounce and lets face it people usually judge you just by your name.

Offline gotchi

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »
Congrats~

You've listed quite the unique names and names that aren't really common so that's cool...

I think the word 'Avant' means 'before' in French.
But like NrXIII said "Nevertheless in terms of phonetic it sounds best among them all.
This is just a suggestion."

I agree....you could even say it the French way lol.

Offline xerith

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:31:14 AM »
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

BTW, wanted to ask, do you think people will laugh at the name "Aldrin/Aldren"? Sounds a bit like "Cauldron"... but is that something people will laugh at? Any other negative connotations or "sound likes" that you could think of? Just another name I randomly thought of at hospital, and then realised when I search online that there are already people with that name... haha...

Offline sakuraMai

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 09:50:03 PM »
Aldrin is a nice name...
i work in a resto bar and one of the waiters here had a name like that...
but he had a bad penmanship wich is so hard to read =___=

Offline damn

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 03:25:56 AM »
Don't name him Hitler

Offline neoreturn

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
damn! The child is 1,5 yr old now. why did you unburied this topic? oO'

Offline damn

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:18:25 PM »