Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Guitar and accessories  (Read 1342 times)

Offline dso

First Guitar and accessories
« on: November 29, 2010, 04:02:24 AM »
So I'm thinking of finally getting my first guitar this christmas because I wanted to learn since some time ago.
I made a list months ago but I wasn't sure of many things so I'm opening this post to get some advice from the experts here :P

The guitar I looked at is a simple Squier bullet since I can't really afford more than this (I think it's enought for a beginner like me xD).
There are 2 different models in Thomann, one is a bit more expensive (just some bucks more) than the othe.
Wich one is the best?:

http://www.thomann.de/es/fender_squier_bullet_strat_rw_sb.htm (105
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:37:09 AM by dso »

Offline tsunvun86

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 04:12:06 AM »
For the 2 guitars, the difference is just the bridge pickup. There is no good or bad or better here. It's down to preference. Humbuckers give you a chunkier, warmer tone whereas the single coil gives you a brighter, twangy-er tone. Totally up to what you want. Although you will still have 2 more single coils in other positions for the HSS. So depends if you want a single coil on the bridge position or not. Bridge position sounds the brightest among the 3 positions as it is closer to the bridge (section of string with higher tension).

I've always heard good things about the Roland Cubes although I never tried one myself so I'll leave that to other people who have.

Accessorie-wise I say the most essential is a tuner hands down.

Offline dso

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:16:48 AM »
What about hardwood (1st one) and basswood (2nd one) body? :O
Also, from what you say I think I would prefer the 3x single coil one, since I always liked that twangy and bright sound you are talking about :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:21:49 AM by dso »

Offline tsunvun86

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 04:37:21 AM »
I personally never heard of hardwood before.
If you go onto the Squire website you will see that they state basswood as the wood used on the body of a SSS bullet strat with tremolo.

Maybe I'm outdated :/

Here is a list of different types of wood used on guitars: http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm

Offline dso

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 05:13:43 AM »
I saw that website time ago when searching about it too, so I guess maybe it's a typo from thomann  :sry
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:14:09 AM by dso »

Offline aron94

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 06:01:59 AM »
Quote from: "dso"
P.S.2: I forgot to say that I want to start with electric, because I think I will have more fun than with acoustic (atleast now that I don't know how to play) and because I read it's better for beginners because the strings are less "tight". Is that right?
Yes, its true that electric guitar have a lower tension then acoustic~ Some time it depends on what string gauge you are using, for me 10 or 9 should be nice :)
as for the cleaning stuff, dunlop do have polisher and fret cleaner, rmb the fret cleaner (lemon oil) can only be use on a rosewood fret board, using it on maple will cause the wood to go dark after some time~
as for other accessories, me and you have already talked before, thumbs up for others stuff!!

Offline dso

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:23:12 PM »
Yup, I was looking at dunlop's section of polishers in thomann the other day but there are like a lot of different products, one for each part of the guitar or something, it's kinda confusing >_>
Also, talking about strings, wich ones from elixir should I get? there are a lot too xD Gauge... I guess 9 is fine for starters?
And what about picks? I know dunlop's are great too, but there are lot of different thickness <_<
Sorry, I make too much questions, I'm a supah noob xDD

Offline tsunvun86

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 09:11:16 PM »
Gauge 9 or 10 should be ok.
Pick wise  it comes down to preference. You have to experiment that for yourself. But generally for strumming you use thinner picks and for picking, thicker ones. I use a 1.14mm Dunlop Tortex which often shocks people because of its thickness.

Offline natchi

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »
^ IM SHOCKED! i use 1.2mm fender celluloid medium on electric gitah, and a thin pick on acoustic

Offline aron94

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 11:07:58 PM »
EH! I use a stubby for electric gitah~

Offline Jam

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 03:37:19 PM »
Hmm but i heard with 3 single coils you would get some humming sound like that of a microwave when you are not playing. O.O
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:37:32 PM by Jam »