Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: about holiday in the sun Album  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Ega Indra Hirasawa Yl

about holiday in the sun Album
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:08:11 PM »
I see this banner

it say that holiday in the sun is 5th album
but in YUI net it said that it's 4th
 :rolleye

could you explain,,,which one is true ???

please  @@

thanks  :sry

Offline natchi

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:10:42 PM »
it's 5th if u take into account her "My Short Stories" album.. n 4th if u dun. hmmm

Offline rui desu

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »
of course it's 5th. and yeah, MSS is included. XD

Offline Kikino!

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:42:19 PM »
Yeah this would be her 4th studio album (I don't know if that's the right therm)

MSS is a compilation.

Offline hbdcrKevin

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 02:22:45 AM »
The difference, as I understand it, is that the "studio" albums are conceived as a whole piece of art.... intended to be listened to in one sitting.  The "B-side compilation" album, My Short Stories, was not created this way, but is instead a grouping of the songs from her singles which were not included in previous albums.

In YUI's standard pattern, one song leads into the next and the energy of the album lifts, smooths, and lifts again as they manipulate our emotions, culminating in the big song, with the last song drawing us back to earth.  Each song is positioned on the album for this effect, and the arrangements of each song take into consideration the overall effect it will have on the album as a whole.

As an example, go back and listen to how the arrangements of Blue Wind and I Can't Say fit together, one leading into the next....this was not accidental or coincidental....it was designed, arranged this way fully intentionally.

In My Short Stories they were able to get this same effect by adding a couple new songs and by choosing a song order that gave the album the same feel.  However the recordings of the "b-sides" had already been done at a time when the album had not been conceived, so the songs were not originally specifically arranged with any album song order in mind... As they arranged the b-side song for the single, they didn't know what song might come before or after it on some future compilation album, so the song is only arranged to compliment the A-side song.

It continues to amaze me how they were able to get this same feel in the complilation album, with not one but two final emotional peaks.... the first being Understand in the traditional 12th position (usually next to last) and YUI's first ever single Its Happy Line in the new 14th position (the new next to last.)

Something tells me (though I could be wrong) that there was always a notion that there would be a "b-sides" album and that Hisashi-san always kept this idea in the back of his mind while arranging the individual singles.

Offline Ega Indra Hirasawa Yl

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »
thanks Kevin, :)
I understand now why each album has its own unique feel when I listen to them :suki

Offline MalorieVillarreal

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »
I don't know if that's the right therm!